Support for Obama hits new low point: SurveyDecember 15th, 2011 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 15 (IANS/EFE) Support for US President Barack Obama is at its lowest level since he entered the White House in January 2009, but he has more public backing than his top Republican rival, according to a survey released Wednesday.
Forty-nine percent of Americans have an “unfavourable” opinion of Obama, compared with 48 percent who say they have a “favourable” view of him, the ABC/Washington Post poll found.
According to the survey’s organizers, this is the first time that unfavourable opinion exceeds favourable opinion since Obama became president, a sharp contrast to the 79 percent approval rating he had a few days before being sworn in.
Despite everything, however, Obama continues to enjoy an advantage over the Republicans vying to take over his job in the November 2012 election.
Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives and the favourite in recent voter surveys, received just a 35 percent favourable rating in this latest poll, compared with a 48 percent unfavourable rating.
The poll conducted by ABC and The Washington Post, which has an error margin of 3.5 percent, was carried out Dec. 7-11 in telephone interviews with 1,012 adults.
- Obama leads over four potential 2012 GOP contenders: Poll - Jan 21, 2011
- Obama expands national lead over Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 29, 2012
- Gingrich, Romney in dead heat spar over immigration - Jan 27, 2012
- Obama trails in swing states: Opinion poll - Dec 14, 2011
- Obama's rating plunges, yet ahead of GOP rivals: Poll - Apr 20, 2011
- Obama leads Romney in poll - Feb 07, 2012
- Romney GOP's only New Hampshire hope: Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Palin's favorability ratings drop to new low: Poll - Mar 17, 2011
- Romney, Santorum face showdown in Obama's home state - Mar 20, 2012
- Crucial primaries await Republican front-runners - Feb 28, 2012
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- Santorum slows Romney's march with southern sweep (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Mitt Romney releases tax returns - Jan 25, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: abc, adults, approval rating, barack obama, efe, error margin, few days, house of representatives, latest poll, newt gingrich, organizers, point survey, republican rival, republicans, speaker of the house, speaker of the house of representatives, voter surveys, washington post, washington post poll, white house