Support for Anna swells in Uttar PradeshAugust 15th, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 15 (IANS) People in various cities of Uttar Pradesh have begun rallying round social activist Anna Hazare, who begins an indefinite hunger strike in Delhi Tuesday to press for a strong and more inclusive Lokpal bill, which seeks to maintain a strict vigil on corruption.
Holding the tri-colour aloft, people from various walks of life marched in processions Monday and formed human chains in many cities, including Varanasi, Gorakhpur, Allahabad and Lucknow.
“Anna Hazare has been fighting for us,” Banaras Hindu University (BHU) student Anil Kumar told reporters in Varanasi, some 300 km from Lucknow. “Now, it’s our turn to support him so that our country gets a potent tool to contain corruption.”
Shailesh Asthana, a banker who was part of a human chain in Ghazipur, said: “If an aged person like Anna can fight for saving the nation, youngsters definitely need to support him in his noble mission. I think most of the citizens in the country support Anna.”
In Lucknow, India Against Corruption (IAC) urged peaceful demonstrations Tuesday at the Jhulelal Park. “Students, teachers, doctors and people from all walks of life will be joining us in our sit-in to support the crusade,” local IAC co-ordinator R.K. Agarwal told reporters in Lucknow.
According to IAC, some of its members in Lucknow may also observe an indefinite hunger strike from Tuesday.
- Groundswell of support for Anna visible in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Lucknow celebrates as Hazare leaves Tihar Jail - Aug 19, 2011
- Lucknow teachers on mass leave to support Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Activists in Lucknow lend support to Ramdev's fast - Jun 04, 2011
- Anna supporters hold Roza Iftar in Lucknow - Aug 24, 2011
- Demonstrations in Lucknow against Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare's supporters on the Ganga too - Aug 22, 2011
- Fasting Anna supporter hospitalised in Orissa - Aug 26, 2011
- We are with Hazare, say activists in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 07, 2011
- Celebrations in Lucknow as Anna ends fast - Apr 09, 2011
- Cordon of volunteers fortify Anna's security - Aug 20, 2011
- Thousands gather at Delhi's Chhatrasal stadium in Anna's support - Aug 16, 2011
- Following Anna's footsteps, they fast on - Aug 20, 2011
- Students in Maharashtra join Hazare's crusade - Apr 07, 2011
- Lucknow supports Hazare with fasts, processions - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: allahabad, anil kumar, anna hazare, bhu, co ordinator, gorakhpur, hindu university, human chains, indefinite hunger strike, lucknow india, peaceful demonstrations, potent tool, shailesh, social activist, strict vigil, swells, tri colour, varanasi, walks of life, youngsters