Superstars Mammootty, Mohanlal appeal for peace in KannurMarch 8th, 2008 - 12:46 am ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, March 7 (IANS) Malayalam superstars Mammootty and Mohanlal Friday appealed to the people of Kannur to maintain calm in the wake of the political clashes in the district that have resulted in six deaths in the past three days. Violent clashes between the cadres of the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) started Wednesday and six deaths have been reported.
Mammootty told IANS that he and Mohanlal have issued a joint statement, asking the people of Kannur to maintain peace and calm.
“We are prepared to do anything to see that calm returns. I also think that as soon as calm returns in Kannur, a delegation of the film fraternity should visit the affected areas and speak to the people to see that these things are not repeated,” Mammootty said.
On Thursday, three people were killed when workers of the CPI-M and the BJP clashed in Thalassery town and its surrounding areas following an attack on a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) leader. A CPI-M activist’s body was recovered Friday.
Kannur district has been a hotbed of political violence between the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the RSS.
A group of people attacked RSS leader Sumesh in Thalassery town Wednesday afternoon.
The BJP observed Friday as a ‘protest day’, alleging that the CPI-M has unleashed a violent campaign in Kannur district against the saffron party.
Leader of opposition Oommen Chandy, meanwhile, is to sit on fast at Kannur Sunday, appealing for peace.
- Two CPI-M leaders killed in Bengal - Feb 22, 2012
- Pranab, Mamata appeal for peace - May 15, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail in murder case (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Chargesheet soon in ex-Marxist leader's murder - Jul 14, 2012
- No compromise in probe into Left leader's murder: Chandy - May 10, 2012
- Decision on arrested Kerala CPI-M leader's bail Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case - Aug 04, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- CPI-M denies role in Chandrasekharan murder - Jun 09, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Protect northeast people, says CPI-M - Aug 16, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, calm returns, chandy, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, kannur district, leader of opposition, party leader, political clashes, political violence, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, ruling communist party, saffron party, sumesh, thiruvananthapuram, violent campaign, violent clashes, wednesday afternoon