Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict (Lead)March 6th, 2012 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 6 (IANS) A Kerala court here Tuesday directed that summons be served on 210 people, including politicians and policemen, for allegedly making phone calls to Kerala Congress chief R. Balakrishna Pillai, when he was serving a jail term last year.
Pillai, 76, whose party is in alliance with the ruling Congress-led coalition, was sentenced by the apex court to an year’s imprisonment in February last year in a corruption case.
The decision to issue summons to the 210 people was taken by an additional chief judicial magistrate after verifying documents presented by the cyber cell of the Kerala Police.
Pillai was in and out of the prison on parole and for medical treatment last year. As per the prison rules, it was against the law if a prisoner spoke to someone on telephone while serving a term, alleged petitioner Joy K.
Among those who allegedly spoke to Pillai on phone during his jail term were state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala, Pillai’s son and Forests and Environment, Sports and Cinema Minister K.B. Ganesh Kumar, political secretary to chief minister K.S. Vasudeva Sharma, police officials and reporters.
The case would next be heard May 6.
Pillai’s jail term was extended by a few days as a penalty for using the telephone while serving his term.
Pillai, along with 137 other jail inmates, was released Nov 1 last year under an amnesty scheme.
- Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict - Mar 06, 2012
- Achuthanandan moves apex court against amnesty for ex-minister - Nov 01, 2011
- Kerala minister's father 'unsure' of compromise talks - Apr 19, 2012
- Kerala's ex-minister to be freed under amnesty scheme - Oct 31, 2011
- Former minister's jail term extended for using mobile - Oct 06, 2011
- Kerala minister's father threatens to oust him from party - Mar 27, 2012
- Jailed Kerala leader to skip assembly polls - Mar 23, 2011
- Achuthanandan demands removal of CBI officer - Jul 19, 2012
- Pillai's remission within rules: Chandy - Nov 02, 2011
- Former Kerala minister Pillai to contest from jail - Mar 22, 2011
- Achuthanandan faces veiled attack from party MP - Sep 13, 2011
- Chandy denies speaking to jailed leader, assembly rocked - Oct 04, 2011
- No favours from Chandy government: Balakrishna Pillai - Nov 11, 2011
- Kerala house adjourns over remarks against Achuthanandan - Oct 28, 2011
- Apex court gives one-year jail to ex-Kerala minister (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: amnesty scheme, apex court, balakrishna, chief minister, congress chief, congress president, convict, corruption case, jail inmates, judicial magistrate, kerala police, petitioner, pillai, police officials, political secretary, prison rules, ramesh chennithala, state congress, summons, vasudeva