Suleiman a key member of Egypt’s military councilFebruary 12th, 2011 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 11 (IANS) Egypt’s Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, whose key member is Vice President Omar Suleiman, was handed over power by Hosni Mubarak before he quit as president after more than 30 years in power Friday.Suleiman, a former intelligence chief, is one of the serving and retired military officers who are on the powerful council.
The 77-year-old vice president has received military training in the former Soviet Union. He rose to become the spy chief and was sworn in Jan 29 as the first vice president of Egypt in 30 years.
The other members of the council, which has now become all powerful following the transfer of power, includes Defence Minister Mohammed Hussein Tantawi, Chief of Staff of the Egyptian Army, Lt.Gen. Sami Anan and Minister for Civil Aviation Air Marshal Ahmed Shafiq.
- Top military dismissals are in Egypt's interests: Morsi (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Egypt president orders defence minister to retire - Aug 13, 2012
- Egypt's vice president under Mubarak dies in US - Jul 19, 2012
- Egyptian army to hand over power May 24 - May 03, 2012
- US, high-level Egyptian officials mulling interim govt headed by VP Omar Suleiman - Feb 04, 2011
- Assassination attempt on Egypt vice president: Report - Feb 05, 2011
- Senior Egyptian officials call for Mubarak's resignation - Jan 31, 2011
- Military caught between Mubarak, pro-democracy protesters - Feb 11, 2011
- US plans for Mubarak's immediate exit - Feb 04, 2011
- All eyes on Egypt defence minister, army chief during transition process - Feb 12, 2011
- Egypt to lift three decades old state of emergency - Jan 25, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi wins Egyptian presidency (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Mubarak to quit, hand over power to military council: Official - Feb 11, 2011
- Outrage as Mubarak refuses to go, US steps up pressure (Fourth Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Egypt confirms bid was made on ex-vice president's life - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: air marshal, anan, army lt, civil aviation, defence minister, egyptian army, former intelligence, former soviet union, hosni mubarak, intelligence chief, jan 29, military council, military officers, military training, minister mohammed, omar suleiman, president of egypt, shafiq, spy chief, supreme council