Sukhbir Badal gets back job in father’s governmentAugust 10th, 2009 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 10 (IANS) Having remained out of power for about 40 days, Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal was Monday sworn in as deputy chief minister in the Punjab government headed by his father, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
Badal junior was administered the oath of office and secrecy as deputy chief minister by Punjab Governor S.F. Rodrigues at a simple ceremony at the Raj Bhawan here.
Sukhbir, wearing a white kurta-payjama and a black half-jacket, took the oath in Punjabi. He then touched the feet of his father Parkash Singh Badal on the dais and his mother Surinder Kaur, who was seated nearby. He greeted other relatives, including his MP wife Harsimrat Kaur.
This is the second time within seven months that Sukhbir Badal has been sworn-in as deputy chief minister.
He was first inducted as deputy chief minister in the Badal government Jan 21 this year in Amritsar. He remained in the post for just over five months.
Sukhbir Badal resigned July 1 after failing to fulfil the constitutional requirement of getting elected within six months of being sworn in.
He got elected to the Punjab assembly last Thursday (Aug 6) after winning the Jalalabad assembly seat by-election by a record margin of over 80,000 votes.
The swearing-in of Badal junior was simple this time with limited number of invitees compared to his earlier swearing-in at Amritsar. The state government had spent millions of rupees of public money for the earlier event.
Ministers of the Badal government, including those from Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the alliance partner of the ruling Akali Dal, Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and other prominent people were present on the occasion.
This is Sukhbir Badal’s maiden entry to the Punjab assembly, though he has been an MP in the Lok Sabha three times. He was also union minister of state for industries in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
- Punjab gets 21 new chief parliamentary secretaries - Apr 10, 2012
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- At 84, Badal begins fifth innings as chief minister (Profile) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal is deputy CM again, gets back portfolios (Lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Five BJP ministers inducted in Punjab cabinet - May 15, 2011
- At 84, Parkash Singh Badal towers over all - Mar 07, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Badal to begin fifth term as chief minister Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Will Badal be NDA choice for vice president? (Punjab Newsletter) - May 04, 2012
Tags: alliance partner, amritsar, assembly seat, atal bihari, black half, constitutional requirement, dais, deputy chief minister, jalalabad, janata party, kurta payjama, Lok Sabha, navjot singh sidhu, oath of office, parkash singh badal, public money, punjab government, raj bhawan, record margin, union minister