Sudhir Mungantivar is new Maharashtra BJP chiefApril 2nd, 2010 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Jalgaon (Maharashtra), April 2 (IANS) Senior Maharashtra Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sudhir Mungantivar was elected state party chief here Friday, a party official said.
The 48-year old Mungantivar, a four-time legislator, will replace Nitin Gadkari, who was elected national BJP president last December.
Holding a post-graduate degree in commerce, a degree in law, and diplomas in business management and journalism, Mungantivar plunged into politics during his college days when he became Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM), the BJP’s youth wing, Chandrapur town secretary.
In 1987, he was appointed Chandrapur district chief of BJYM and contested the Lok Sabha elections - in 1989 and 1991 - but was unsuccessful both times.
Mungantivar, who belongs to eastern Maharashtra, was elected vice-president of state BJYM in 1993. Two years later, he was elected to the Maharashtra legislative assembly from Chandrapur - with the highest victory margin in entire Vidarbha (eastern Maharashtra) region.
Four years later, in 1999, Mungantivar was appointed a minister for tourism in the erstwhile Shiv Sena-BJP alliance government, then headed by Narayan Rane, and in which he was a colleague of Gadkari.
Meanwhile, in 2001, he was elected national vice-president of BJYM and managed to repeat his electoral victories to the state assembly in 1999, 2004 and again in 2009 from Ballarpur.
- Ajay Bhatt to head BJP legislature party in Uttarakhand - May 19, 2012
- BJP activists protest remarks against Gadkari - Jun 17, 2011
- Why all parties covet the BMC? - Jan 04, 2012
- After ousting Congress, BJP has to deliver on promises (Goa Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Konkan Congress strongman joins NCP - Jan 30, 2012
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- BJP appoints new Himachal unit chief - Feb 20, 2012
- Rift in Goa BJP settled: Gadkari - Feb 05, 2012
- Himachal BJP legislator seeks change in state leadership - Jun 13, 2012
- Vinod Tawde new opposition leader in Maharashtra council - Dec 16, 2011
- Poonam Mahajan is BJP youth wing vice president - Aug 13, 2010
- BJP in damage control mode after rebels form new outfit (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Feb 12, 2012
- Protest hits rail services in Bastar - Jan 17, 2012
- Rashtriya Ekta Yatra to reach Chandigarh Friday - Jan 21, 2011
- Kashmir government's action on party leaders undemocratic: Gadkari - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: alliance government, bjp president, college days, degree in commerce, diplomas, district chief, graduate degree, jalgaon, legislative assembly, lok sabha elections, national vice president, party chief, post graduate, president of state, rane, shiv sena, state assembly, time legislator, victory margin, vidarbha