Sudan’s president to visit Egypt despite arrest warrantMarch 25th, 2009 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 25 (DPA) Sudan President Omar al-Bashir will visit Egypt Wednesday despite an arrest warrant issued against him by the International Criminal Court (ICC), an Egyptian official said.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told DPA that al-Bashir will meet Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to discuss developments after the ICC decision.
Wednesday’s visit will be al-Bashir’s second trip abroad since the arrest warrant was issued, after his brief visit to Eritrea Monday.
Sudan had earlier said that al-Bashir would ignore the warrant and travel to Doha later this month to attend an Arab summit.
Neither Qatar nor Eritrea, like Sudan, have signed up to the ICC and have no obligation to arrest al-Bashir. Egypt is a member of the 22-nation Arab League, which said it will take no action over the arrest warrant.
On March 4, the ICC accused al-Bashir of genocide and other war crimes carried out in the Sudanese province of Darfur.
The UN says up to 300,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million displaced by the conflict that started in 2003.
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- Sudan signs ceasefire deal with rebel group - Feb 24, 2010
- Arab League elects Egyptian foreign minister as new head - May 16, 2011
- Al Qaeda issues warning to Sudanese president - Mar 25, 2009
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- After Egypt, winds of change are blowing through six nations (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Six nations where winds of change are blowing - Feb 12, 2011
- Krishna heads to Egypt, Syria on agenda - Mar 02, 2012
- UN court issues arrest warrant for Sudanese president - Mar 04, 2009
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- Sudan's president warns protesters of 'incinerating summer' - Jul 12, 2012
- Sudan's president calls ICC 'a mosquito in the ear of elephant' - Jan 30, 2009
- Sudan's President Bashir transferred '$9bn in UK banks': Wikileaks - Dec 18, 2010
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
Tags: 5 million, anonymity, arab league, arab summit, arrest warrant, cairo, darfur, dpa, egyptian official, egyptian president hosni mubarak, genocide, hosni mubarak, international criminal court, march 25, omar al bashir, president hosni mubarak, qatar, second trip, sudanese, war crimes