Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiersApril 21st, 2012 - 1:17 am ICT by IANS
Khartoum, April 20 (IANS) Rebels in Sudan’s troubled Blue Nile state Friday claimed to have killed 79 Sudanese soldiers in the latest battle on the border with South Sudan, where armed clashes have been taking place since last September.
Arnu Talodi, a spokesman of the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North Sector, said that the battles between its forces and the Sudanese army in an area 39 km south of Damazin, the capital of Blue Nile state, led to the killing of 79 soldiers, Xinhua reported.
The rebel group lost three fighters and nine members were injured, he added.
A total of “12 soldiers of the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) have been captured during the clashes, which are still going on,” Talodi told Xinhua over telephone.
He said his fighters “had set up an ambush for the SAF troops” before causing the government troops heavy casualties.
“We are now seeking to move to large cities in Blue Nile and liberate them, and the goal is to seize the city of Damazin, the state capital, and we are ready to counter any attacks by the Sudanese army,” said Talodi.
Fighting between the SAF and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) erupted in South Kordofan state in June last year, just one month before South Sudan officially announced its secession from Sudan, and spread to nearby Blue Nile in September.
- Over 50 rebels killed in Blue Nile state: Sudanese army - Apr 22, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- Sudan calls on US to stop 'carrot and stick policy' - Jun 16, 2011
- 22 soldiers killed in Sudan - May 20, 2011
- 31 killed in Sudanese plane crash - Aug 19, 2012
- 29 Chinese held hostage after camp attacked in Sudan - Jan 29, 2012
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- At least 75 killed in South Sudan attack - Oct 30, 2011
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- 32 killed in Sudan floods - Aug 23, 2010
- India calls for dialogue between Sudan, South Sudan - Apr 12, 2012
- All 29 kidnapped Chinese in Sudan freed - Feb 08, 2012
- Sudan ready for talks with South Sudan: Russia - May 01, 2012
Tags: ambush, armed forces, blue nile, clashes, government troops, heavy casualties, khartoum, kordofan, last september, liberation movement, north sector, rebel group, secession, south sudan, splm, spokesman, sudan rebels, sudanese army, sudanese soldiers, xinhua