Subramanian Swamy wants central forces deployed in Tamil NaduApril 10th, 2009 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 10 (IANS) Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy Friday warned of serious trouble from pro-LTTE elements in Tamil Nadu and demanded that central paramilitary forces be deployed to take preventive measures.
“The central government must take pre-emptive action by posting Central Reserve Police Force and Border Security Force personnel in Tamil Nadu and carry out pre-emptive arrests of fissiparous elements immediately,” Swamy said in a statement.
The Janata Party president was reacting to Vaiko’s warning of a “bloodbath in Tamil Nadu” if any harm came to Veluppillai Prabhakaran, the leader of the banned Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, during the ongoing Sri Lankan military action against the rebels.
Swamy demanded that Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi prepare a contingency plan to tackle a hypothetical “post-Prabhakaran situation”.
Meanwhile, lawyer R. Shiva Sankaran, who was arrested earlier in the day for pelting the Janata Party president with eggs in the Madras High Court in February over his alleged pro-Colombo stance, was let off on bail.
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Poll panel issues notice to Andhra Congress chief (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- Sedition charges politically motivated: Vaiko - Apr 10, 2009
- Pro-LTTE parties routed as Sri Lanka overruns LTTE zone - May 16, 2009
- Iran seeking to build nuclear weapon: Cameron - Mar 07, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Vaiko's 'bloodbath' remark exposes fissures in Third Front (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- FIR against Vaiko for pro-LTTE speech - Apr 10, 2009
- 'Provide central protection for Mullaperiyar dam, exercise restraint' - Dec 06, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's wet grinder industry grinds to a one day halt - Jul 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans screening of 'Dam 999' - Nov 24, 2011
- Rushdie controversy is case of match-fixing: BJP - Jan 23, 2012
- May 21, 1991: The assassination that also killed Tamil Eelam (Comment) - May 22, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: bloodbath, border security force, central government, chief minister, colombo, contingency plan, janata party president, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, madras high court, military action, paramilitary forces, police force, preventive measures, reserve police, sankaran, serious trouble, shiva, sri lankan, subramanian swamy, vaiko