Subodh Kant Sahay denies involvement in coal allocation (Lead)August 31st, 2012 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) Denying allegations of impropriety and nepotism in coal block allocation, union minister Subodh Kant Sahay said Friday that he never sought favours for his brother’s firm SKS Ispat and Power Limited.
“I am neither a shareholder nor a director of the company. Sudhir Sahay (brother) is also completely independent as far as his professional and business status is concerned,” Sahay said.
Addressing the media following allegations that the firm SKS Ispat was allocated a coal block a day after he wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Sahay said that the blocks had already been allocated when he wrote a letter to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
“The Fatehpur coal block was already allocated to SKS Ispat and Prakash Industries much prior to my letter to the PMO,” Sahay said.
“SKS does not stand for Subodh Kant Sahay, but Shri Krishna Structures,” he added.
The CAG had earlier this month said in its report that lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in a loss of Rs.1.86 lakh crore to the exchequer as on March 11 last year.
Sahay alleged that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was maligning him over the coal blocks allocation.
“The BJP is known to frame lies and that’s the reason they are not letting the parliament function. The allegations against me are a bunch of lies,” Sahay said.
According to Sahay, the application for allotment of Fatehpur coal block was written by SKS Ispat and Power Limited January 2007.
The screening committee decided to allocate Fatehpur coal block jointly to SKS Ispat and Prakash Industries. The letter was issued to both companies in November 2007.
“My letter was written to the prime minister regarding two coal blocks for steel plants in Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand Feb 5, 2008,” Sahay added.
- Sahai denies nepotism in coal block allocations (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- No mining in any allocated coal block, says BJP - Aug 28, 2012
- PM can't evade responsibility in coal block allocation: BJP - Aug 31, 2012
- BJP is maligning me: Subodh Kant Sahay - Aug 31, 2012
- IMG deallocates 8th coal block, Plan panel for privatising mining - Sep 18, 2012
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations - Sep 11, 2012
- CBI cases, raids against five firms in coal blocks allocation (Fourth Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI names Congress MP in coal block cases, raids 30 sites (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Probe money trail in coal scam: BJP - Sep 06, 2012
- Probe money trail in coal scam: BJP (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- PM attacks CAG, BJP won't give up (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- No coal block allocated during UPA-II regime: Jaiswal - Aug 27, 2012
- Coal block auctioning to begin in two months: Jaiswal - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, block allocation, bunch of lies, business status, chhattisgarh, impropriety, ispat, manmohan singh, nepotism, parliament function, power limited, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private players, sahay, screening committee, shri krishna, steel plants, subodh, union minister