Student’s clash: Congress calls strike in TripuraMay 22nd, 2011 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 22 (IANS) Tripura’s main opposition Congress has called a dawn-to-dusk strike Monday after members of its student wing NSUI clashed with Students Federation of India (SFI) activists.
“The Congress and its student wing NSUI (National Students Union of India) have called a 12-hour shutdown across Tripura Monday following a clash between its supporters and those of the SFI,” Tripura pradesh Congress president Surajit Datta told reporters.
SFI is the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist’s student’s wing.
“The supporters of SFI attacked NSUI activists late Saturday evening at the Maharaja Bir Bikram, college injuring many NSUI supporters. NSUI Tripura unit president Vicky Prasad was critically injured and shifted to the hospital,” Datta said.
According to police, three SFI and four NSUI supporters, including Prasad, were injured in the clash. The trouble started when SFI activists were collecting membership subscription from the students.
The ruling CPI-M opposed the strike and asked people to maintain normalcy across Tripura Monday.
“After the West Bengal election results, the Congress has been trying to create trouble and disturb peace in Left-ruled Tripura. Capitalising on the students’ clash, the party is making it a big political issue for mileage,” a CPI-M spokesman said.
- Congress backed strike cripples life in Tripura - May 23, 2011
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- CPI-M student wings sweep Tripura college polls - Dec 03, 2011
- Life in Tripura crippled as Left, Congress call shut-down - Jul 13, 2011
- 15 injured in clashes ahead of Tripura colleges polls - Nov 21, 2011
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
- 70 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 10, 2011
- Parties call for 12-hour Tripura shutdown Wednesday - Jul 12, 2011
- No report on president's rule in Tripura: Governor's aide - Jul 14, 2011
- PM calls off northeast visit - Jul 17, 2011
- JNU goes to students' union polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- 10 hurt in Kolkata student unions clash, traffic hit - Dec 16, 2010
- Over a lakh fill jails in Tripura seeking minimum wages - Nov 08, 2011
- Trinamool holds rally with supporter's corpse - Dec 20, 2010
- CPI-M's youth, student wings protest CWG corruption - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: agartala, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president, CPI, datta, dawn to dusk, late saturday evening, maharaja, membership subscription, national students, normalcy, opposition congress, prasad, ruling communist party, sfi, students union, vicky, west bengal election, west bengal election results