Strike was on genuine issues, got people’s support: MamataSeptember 21st, 2012 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 20 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee Thursday said people across the country supported the all India shutdown called by the opposition as the issues concerned them.
“People across the country have supported today’s strike because the issue concerns them. The issues on which the shutdown was called were genuine and we support them,” Banerjee said here.
Along with National Democratic Alliance’s all India strike call, the Left Front had too called for a 12 hour general strike in West Bengal in protest against the economic reforms initiated by the United Progressive Alliance central government.
Banerjee said her Trinamool Congress was the first to take up the issue of FDI in retail and described her stand to withdraw support from the UPA on the issue, as a “proud achievement”.
“We were the first to take up the issue in Bengal and withdrew support for which we are proud. People in Bengal have the ability to take a stand on these matters this is a good beginning,” she added.
Reiterating her government stand against strikes and shutdowns, Banerjee claimed West Bengal was not affected by the strike call.
- Trinamool's pull-out vindicates our strike call: Left - Sep 19, 2012
- After Congress, Left accuses Trinamool of double standards on FDI - Sep 20, 2012
- Trinamool to go on nationwide stir against diesel hike, FDI - Sep 19, 2012
- Trinamool had asked for FDI in its manifesto, says Congress - Sep 20, 2012
- PM dials, but Mamata says a firm 'no' on FDI - Dec 02, 2011
- Firm on pro-people decision, Mamata posts on Facebook (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Trinamool quits UPA, Congress reaches out to Mamata (Roundup) - Sep 19, 2012
- Will protest fuel price hike, but won't let Left create rift: Mamata - Jul 27, 2012
- Let Congress decide on alliance: Mamata - Nov 19, 2011
- Congress should seek people's verdict on FDI: Mamata - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: central government, chief minister, economic reforms, fdi, genuine issues, india strike, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, opposition, progressive alliance, protest, proud achievement, shutdowns, strikes, trinamool congress, UPA, west bengal