Strike hits international air passengers in KeralaAugust 20th, 2008 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 20 (IANS) The nation-wide strike Wednesday called by Left trade unions is taking a heavy toll on both arriving and departing passengers at the three international airports in Kerala.Chief of Air India H.A.Munaf told IANS that even though their flight operations were on schedule, passengers were finding it difficult to cope with the situation.
“Many had arrived quite early to the airport and some are caught up at the airports because public transport is off the road causing a lot of hardships,” said Munaf.
Kerala has three international airports at Kozhikode, Kochi and here which on an average operate around 70 flights every day.
With the holiday season on in the Middle-East, the traffic is at its peak. From the three airports in Kerala, a minimum of 15,000 passengers on average have been heading for airports in the Middle-East everyday.
“It is really sad to see what is happening in Kerala. We came with our new born baby last month and we are leaving by the early morning flight tomorrow cancelling our plans to visit close relatives,” said Mariam Thomas, an engineer who works in Dubai.
“This is really painful because we had to put up with another such shutdown just last month,” he said.
About two million people from Kerala are settled outside India. Of this, more than 90 percent are in the Middle-East.
Private vehicles with an “Airport” sticker pasted on the front and rear glass panels were a common sight at all the three airports.
“I have to go and collect my husband from the airport in the afternoon. I am really scared to go alone and none of the taxis are willing to operate their service,” said a housewife in the state capital.
- Air India cancels flights from Kerala due to crew shortage - Sep 03, 2010
- Kerala diaspora in Middle East asked to shun politicians - Jul 08, 2012
- Air India cancels five Kerala flights - Apr 28, 2011
- Air India pilots' strike affects Kozhikode flights - May 10, 2012
- Air India denies reports of cancellation of flights - Nov 02, 2010
- Hefty increase in air fares ahead of Onam in Kerala - Aug 26, 2011
- Air India cancels 12 flights in Kerala - Apr 30, 2011
- Levying of user fee at new airport resented - May 11, 2010
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Air India pilots strike disrupts Mid-East flights - May 01, 2011
- Chandy seeks immediate reduction in Middle East airfares - Jun 10, 2012
- Jet Airways to evacuate Indians from Libya - Mar 02, 2011
- President arrives in Kerala on three-day visit - Aug 29, 2011
- Cathay Pacific announces Hyderabad-Hong Kong flight - Aug 23, 2012
- Plane makes u-turn to offload unruly passengers - Dec 31, 2010