Strike hits image of West Bengal: industry leadersAugust 20th, 2008 - 1:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 20 (IANS) Industry leaders here are bitter over the loss of a working day and all it entails as Left-supported trade unions went on a countrywide strike Wednesday, crippling normal life in West Bengal.”We want a complete bandh (shutdown) on bandhs,” Sanjay Budhia, president of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and managing director of Patton Ltd, told IANS.
Irrespective of the party that calls it, none of these strikes serve any purpose other than affecting the common man adversely, he said.
“The daily wage earners are the worst affected because of these strikes,” Budhia said. “We should protest through discussions rather than going on strike.”
“These strikes hit the image of the state. Definitely work will be affected. We are closing operations for the day and are talking to clients to re-schedule work,” S. Radhakrishnan, president of the Bengal Chamber of Commerce & Industry and CEO of BPO Descon, told IANS.
“To compensate we are working on Saturday,” he added.
This time, the shutdown has not spared the Information Technology (IT) hub in the city’s Salt Lake suburb either. BPO firms, which operate 24X7, were also closed Wednesday.
“Though it is a nationwide strike but this is happening in West Bengal only. The others units of the company situated in various part of the country are functioning normally,” said Sandipan Chakravortty, managing director, Tata Ryerson Limited and deputy chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industry.
“It is unfortunate that strikes only happen over here. It projects a negative image of the state,” he said.
The shutdown is to protest the economic policies of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre.
- Industrialists hail West Bengal's 'historic day' - May 20, 2011
- Industrialists, economists slam frequent strikes - Sep 07, 2010
- Bengal industrialists in race to praise Mamata - Aug 22, 2009
- Strike amid low business sentiment uncalled for: Industry - Feb 28, 2012
- Mamata calls for a stop to shutdowns - Aug 23, 2011
- Radhakrishnan is chairman of software body - Jun 01, 2011
- India Inc says nationwide strike ill-timed, hit sentiments - Sep 07, 2010
- Mamata goes all out to foil shutdown in Bengal - May 30, 2012
- Mamata's land bank idea, industry cautious - Jun 10, 2011
- 'Strikes only hurt the economy' - Apr 27, 2010
- Brand Hyderabad takes a beating due to Telangana turmoil - Oct 02, 2011
- Irked Maoists extend two-day shutdown call to one week in Jharkhand district - Aug 05, 2010
- Fuel price hike will have inflationary pressure: Industrialists - Jun 25, 2011
- India shuts down against hike in fuel prices (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2010
- Bangladesh businesses oppose shutdowns - Jul 06, 2011