Streamline pension scheme for ex-servicemen: AntonyMay 12th, 2010 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony Wednesday called for streamlining the pension system for the armed forces personnel, saying he had received complaints of many ex-servicemen not getting their dues.
“I am getting a lot of complaints from people that they are not getting pension… Considering the past, things have improved, but even then complaints are there still… So you must take all steps possible so that they get their dues at the earliest,” Antony said.
The minister was addressing the inaugural session of the three-day conference of defence accounts department here.
The minister noted that the capital expenditure of the ministry allocated last year had been utilised fully - “an all-time record” - for procuring weapons and systems.
Emphasising the “transparent, timely and judicious use of defence expenditure”, Antony said the government has tried to infuse more transparency in the huge defence outlay that is over Rs.1.52 lakh crore for the current financial year.
“Defence expenditure and procurement issues are complex and time-consuming and have a direct bearing on our national security. We have tried to infuse more transparency and efficiency into our procedures and systems. It is my firm belief that expenditure of public money must have an appropriate system of checks and balances,” he stressed.
Chief of Army Staff Gen. V.K. Singh and scientific advisor to the defence minister V.K. Saraswat were present at the inauguration of the biennial conference.
In his address to the gathering, Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju said the defence pension courts were an effective mechanism for grievance redressal.
- Antony asks Defence Accounts to expedite pension - May 12, 2010
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
- Antony asks DPSUs to maintain transparency - Apr 12, 2012
- India to develop new aerospace products for security needs - Feb 07, 2011
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Withdraw public suit on appointment of next army chief' - Apr 11, 2012
- Corruption badly affects morale of defence forces: Antony - Aug 14, 2012
- India well prepared in case of war: Antony (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Army chief's age issue sensitive: PM - Jan 19, 2012
- Army chief row: DRDO chief calls for 'cautious approach' - Mar 31, 2012
- Clean chit to Tatra trucks after army chief's allegations - Mar 26, 2012
- Antony promises to probe army chief's allegations - Mar 27, 2012
- Government committed to welfare of armed forces: Antony - Aug 14, 2011
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- Antony warns of emerging threats from China, AfPak - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: accounts department, army staff, biennial conference, capital expenditure, checks and balances, chief of army, crore, defence expenditure, defence minister, defence outlay, firm belief that, inaugural session, pallam raju, pension scheme, pension system, procurement issues, public money, saraswat, system of checks and balances, time record