Stop pampering Kasab, quickly end trial: Bal Thackeray (Lead)April 21st, 2009 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 21 (IANS) Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray Tuesday slammed the high level of security and “special treatment” accorded to Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks, and demanded that his trial be wrapped up within a month.
In a scathing editorial in Saamna, the party mouthpiece, Thackeray said that a huge amount of tax-payers’ money has been wasted in providing security to “Kasab Saheb” (Kasab Sir).
“So much security is not even provided to the country’s prime minister. All this because we want to prove to the world that we are such a strong democracy and that we will give an opportunity of defence to even those who attack us and destroy our country,” the signed editorial noted.
Thackeray alleged that with the Indian government taking care of all his needs, Kasab - who appeared in court wearing jeans, T-shirt and perfume - must have started loving life in an Indian prison as compared to impoverished Pakistan.
Hence, “Kasab Saheb” has suddenly remembered that he is below 18 years of age, and that the motive was to capture Jammu and Kashmir after the government appointed lawyer S.G. Abbas Kazmi to defend him.
“At this rate, the trial will go from lower courts to higher courts and then for a presidential pardon, as in the case of Afzal Guru,” the editorial pointed out.
It urged that the trial be completed within a fortnight to a month; Kasab should be given punishment against which he cannot appeal in any higher court and the matter be disposed of.
Thackeray also said that not a single paise should be paid as fees to the concerned legal people - Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and government-appointed defence lawyer Kazmi.
“For rendering this service, they will not suffer much and the public will ultimately reward them. The government must not be burdened with the expenses of the trial. First decide the date of hanging ‘Kasab Saheb’ then conduct the trial accordingly,” the edit said.
- Stop pampering Kasab, end trial in a month: Bal Thackeray - Apr 21, 2009
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Kasab's confession accepted on court record, trial to continue (Lead) - Jul 23, 2009
- First phase of Mumbai terror attacks end (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Expenditure on Kasab not as high as projected: Lawyers - Nov 25, 2011
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Pakistani terrorist Kasab claims he is a juvenile - Apr 17, 2009
- Judgement Day for 26/11 terrorist (Lead) - May 02, 2010
- Kasab appeals against death sentence - Jun 04, 2010
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Kasab's lawyer Kazmi sacked for 'non-cooperation' (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Kasab's admissions not a confession: lawyer Kazmi - Jul 21, 2009
- Kasab's lawyer Kazmi sacked by Special Court (Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Kasab drops another bombshell - confession in court - Jul 20, 2009
Tags: abbas, ajmal, amir, bal thackeray, defence lawyer, fortnight, indian government, jammu and kashmir, kasab, kashmir, loving life, mohammed, mouthpiece, nikam, paise, presidential pardon, public prosecutor, special judge, strong democracy, tax payers money