Stop Mayawati from erecting statues with public funds: petitionJune 19th, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) A public interest petition was filed Friday in the apex court seeking that Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati be restrained from installing statues og herself and of the party symbol elephant using public funds.
Filed by lawyer Ravi Kant, the petition also sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the misuse of public funds, alleging hundreds of crores of rupees of public money was being spent to “glorify” the chief minister.
“The activity is being carried out as a state policy, which is arbitrary and violative of Article 14 of the Constitution. Sixty statues of elephant, the party symbol of the BSP (Bahujan Samaj Party), were installed at a cost of Rs. 52.20 crore at public places by utilising state funds,” the petition alleged.
The lawyer, who has made Mayawati along with her party and the state chief secretary respondents, said the state government should be directed to remove the statues of Mayawati and her party symbol from public land.
“Every action taken by the government must be in public interest. The government cannot act arbitrarily and without reason and if it does, its action would be liable to be invalidated,” the petition contended.
- Supreme Court to hear PIL against Mayawati - Jun 29, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notice to UP government on statues issue - Jun 29, 2009
- Court asks Mayawati to explain use of public money for statues - Jun 29, 2009
- Is BSP violating poll laws with elephant statues- Apex court asks - Feb 22, 2010
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Lawyers urge poll panel to act against Mayawati - Jul 17, 2009
- Spend more on people than statues, Congress tells Mayawati - Jun 29, 2009
- Finally, veils go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Lawsuit seeks derecognition of political parties - Mar 10, 2010
- Mayawati flays poll panel for draping statues (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Poll panel asked to decide on complaint against BSP (Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Poll panel's 'operation cover-up' keeps officials busy - Jan 09, 2012
- Send notice to Mayawati on statues: BJP tells poll panel - Jun 30, 2009
- People will reply to Mayawati in polls, says BJP - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, article 14, bsp, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, chief secretary, crore, crores, elephant, kant, New Delhi, party symbol, public interest petition, public money, respondents, rupees, state government, statues