Sting illegal, Bangaru tells courtSeptember 4th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) Former BJP president Bangaru Laxman Tuesday sought suspension of his four-year jail term in a bribery case and told the Delhi High Court that the 2001 sting operation carried on him was “illegal” and “contrary to law”.
Senior advocate Sandeep Sethi, appearing for Laxman, told the court that inducement during sting operation was prohibited in law.
Justice A.K. Pathak was hearing the former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief’s plea challenging the jail term awarded to him April 28 by a trial court.
The court would next hear the case Wednesday.
Laxman sought the suspension of the four-year jail term on the ground that he was suffering from many old-age related illnesses and was a diabetes patient.
Sethi pleaded that the petitioner suffered from heart ailment and was living on one kidney.
“I am 74-year-old, have medical conditions. I am seriously diabetic and for the last four months I am in custody,” said Laxman.
A CBI special court April 28 sentenced Laxman to four years’ rigorous imprisonment after holding him guilty of accepting a bribe from a fake arms dealer in a 10-year-old graft case and also fined him Rs.1 lakh.
The case dates to 2001 when news portal tehelka.com carried out a sting operation that caught Laxman on camera receiving money from a journalist posing as an arms dealer. He later resigned as BJP chief.
Tehelka had released CDs showing Laxman accepting money for promise of assistance to a fictitious Britain-based company M/s West End International in securing a contract for the supply of thermal imagers to the Indian Army.
- CBI issued notice on Bangaru Laxman's appeal - May 11, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman: A chronology of corruption case - Apr 27, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman appeals against jail term - May 09, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman convicted for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- Congress, BJP trade charges following Laxman's sentencing - Apr 28, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman sentenced to four years' jail (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Time for BJP to introspect: Congress on Bangaru conviction - Apr 27, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Bangaru's conviction a vindication for Tehelka: Editor - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: bangaru, bharatiya janata party, bjp chief, bjp president, bribery case, case dates, delhi high court, diabetes patient, graft case, heart ailment, indian army, inducement, jail term, law justice, laxman, pathak, rigorous imprisonment, sethi, sting operation, thermal imagers