Statues not at the cost of poor man’s welfare: BSPJuly 1st, 2009 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 30 (IANS) Defending Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati against the Congress’ criticism, her confidant and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) national general secretary Satish Chandra Misra Tuesday reiterated that the drive to build memorials and install statues of Dalit icons would not affect the state’s welfare schemes.
“While undertaking the construction of memorials and statues, we are not in any way compromising with the programmes meant for the development of the state or for the upliftment of the poor,” Misra said in a release issued by the state information department.
Referring to senior Congress leaders like Digvijay Singh who have criticised BSP chief Mayawati, Misra said: “I wish to ask the Congress leaders if they can afford to cut down their (the central government’s) defence budget or the external affairs budget in order to use that money for building schools for the poor or for installation of hand pumps in villages.
“Today BSP is being criticised for spending government funds on memorials devoted to Dalit icons, though the Congress has spent thousands of crores on memorials devoted to the Gandhi-Nehru family,” he added, echoing Mayawati’s remarks.
He also questioned the conversion of a huge chunk of prime land in the national capital for Rajghat, Mahatma Gandhi’s samadhi, as also that of the first Indian prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s official bungalow as a memorial.
Misra termed the criticism as a “discriminatory approach” and “reflection of the upper caste mindset of Congress leaders”.
Justifying the installation of Mayawati’s own statues that were ironically unveiled by herself here last week, the BSP general secretary, who has shot into the spotlight as the architect of the party’s “social engineering”, pointed out: “Mayawati’s statues are being installed only in fulfilment of BSP founder Kanshi Ram’s last wishes that every statue of his must be accompanied by that of Mayawati-ji.”
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Congress will instal Meira Kumar or Shinde as PM: Mayawati - Oct 14, 2011
- Mayawati dedicates 484 welfare schemes to Kanshi Ram - Oct 09, 2011
- Congress slams Mayawati for 'wasting public money' - Oct 14, 2011
- Mayawati flays poll panel for draping statues (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- What's wrong if I install my own statues, asks Mayawati - Mar 15, 2010
- Mayawati wants memorial guards, and Rs.53 cr for them - Jan 28, 2010
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- BSP protests renaming of Lucknow's Kanshi Ram park - Aug 07, 2012
- Mayawati launches BSP campaign in UP, spews fire at Congress (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Sushma Swaraj tweets her defence on Rajghat dance - Jun 07, 2011
- Rahul gives oust Mayawati call, she hits back (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Attack centre, not us: Mayawati to Rahul - Nov 12, 2011
- Mayawati allocates Rs.500 crore more for parks, memorials - Aug 10, 2010
Tags: affairs budget, congress leaders, crores, defence budget, digvijay singh, first indian prime minister, hand pumps, indian prime minister, indian prime minister jawaharlal, jawaharlal nehru, mahatma gandhi, Mayawati, misra, nehru family, prime land, prime minister jawaharlal, rajghat, satish chandra, upper caste, welfare schemes