Statements on Pawar as PM welcome, but no joining Third Front: NCPApril 21st, 2009 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) With two major Third Front constituents, AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal (BJD), openly announcing support for Sharad Pawar as prime ministerial candidate, his Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Tuesday gave a guarded welcome to the statements but stated the party was very much part of the ruling UPA.
AIADMK chief J. Jayalalitha and BJD leader Naveen Patnaik have said in two different interviews that they consider Pawar suitable for the country’s top job.
“The statements are welcome,” said NCP general secretary D.P. Tripathi.
However, he said a firm “no” when asked if the party would consider joining the Third Front in the changing political scenario.
NCP is an important ally of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
“We are in the UPA… We are with UPA…,” Tripathi told IANS.
Meanwhile, the Left parties said that the Third Front’s prime ministerial candidate would be decided only after the elections.
“After the elections, coalition would be formed on the basis of policies and programmes. The leader of the coalition would be elected on the basis of consensus,” Communist Party of India (CPI) national secretary Shameem Faizee told IANS.
In an interview to CNN IBN news channel Monday, Jayalalitha had said: “Sharad Pawar is a very senior political leader, he has the maturity, wisdom and experience necessary to be prime ministerial candidate.”
Patnaik had said he would look into “with a great level of possibility” at the candidature of Pawar for prime minister.
- Sangma will support Pranab: NCP - Jun 19, 2012
- Sangma pushes himself for president - May 22, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sangma for presidency (Intro Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- President should be from tribal community: Sangma - May 17, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- PM praises Pawar, UPA row ebbs for now (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- BJD, AIADMK back Sagma for president (Roundup) - May 17, 2012
- PM willing to talk to NCP 'on any issue' (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, biju, bjd, cnn, cnn ibn, cnn ibn news, cnn ibn news channel, communist party of india, jayalalitha, left parties, national secretary, nationalist congress party, naveen, political leader, political scenario, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, shameem, sharad pawar, top job