Statement by Bill Clinton on the passing of Senator Ted KennedyAugust 27th, 2009 - 1:16 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — Former U.S. President Bill Clinton on Wednesday released the following statement on the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy.
“Senator Ted Kennedy was one of the most influential leaders of our time, and one of the greatest senators in American history. His big heart, sharp mind, and boundless energy were gifts he gave to make our democracy a more perfect union.
As President, I was thankful for his fierce advocacy for universal health care and his leadership in providing health coverage to millions of children. His tireless efforts have brought us to the threshold of real health care reform. I was also grateful for his efforts, often in partnership with Republicans as well as Democrats, to advance civil rights, promote religious freedom, make college more affordable, and give young Americans the opportunity to serve at home in Americorp. I am glad the bill President Obama signed to expand Americorp and other youth service opportunities is named the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act. Through it, his commitment to public service will live on in millions of young people across our nation.
Hillary and I will always be grateful for the many gestures of kindness and generosity he extend to us, for the concern he showed for all the children and grandchildren of the Kennedy clan, and for his devotion to all those in need whose lives were better because he stood up for them. Our thoughts and prayers are with Vicki, his children and grandchildren, and the people of Massachusetts he served so well,” former President Bill Clinton said.
- Statement by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy - Aug 27, 2009
- Vicki Kennedy Thanks Democrats For Passage Of Health Care Reform Bill - Mar 23, 2010
- Statement from President Obama regarding the death of Sen. Ed Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Obamas' condole death of Edward Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- 60 Minutes: Jimmy Carter Blasts Ted Kennedy on Health Care - Sep 17, 2010
- Statements by New York Governor and Lieutenant Governor on the passing of Senator Ted Kennedy - Aug 27, 2009
- QUOTES -- Reaction to the passing of U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke - Dec 14, 2010
- Republican wins Senate seat held by Ted Kennedy (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Statement from NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg regarding the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- `Celebration of Life' memorial for Kennedy in Boston - Aug 29, 2009
- President Barack Obama's Remarks at Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 29, 2009
- Hillary Clinton excited about Obama trip to India - Oct 15, 2010
- Obama mourns death of 'greatest legislator of our time' - Aug 30, 2009
- Vicki Kennedy Journeys To Ted Kennedy's Cemetery Backing The Reform Of Health Care - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: america act, americorp, bno, boundless energy, edward m kennedy, former president bill clinton, health care reform, influential leaders, kennedy clan, news former, perfect union, president bill clinton, real health care, religious freedom, senator ted kennedy, service opportunities, ted kennedy, thoughts and prayers, tireless efforts, universal health care