State lawmaker murdered in MexicoAugust 21st, 2009 - 5:00 am ICT by IANS
Chilpancingo (Mexico), Aug 21 (EFE) The speaker of the legislature in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero was gunned down Thursday by some unidentified gunmen outside his house, officials said.
Armando Chavarria Barrera, a member of the leftist Party of the Democratic Revolution, or PRD, served as the state’s interior minister until May 6, 2008, when he resigned in the wake of the murders of 17 ranchers.
The legislator was killed at around 7 a.m. in Chilpancingo, the state capital, the Guerrero Public Safety Secretariat said.
Chavarria Barrera was apparently shot several times after he got into his car.
“As of now the motive for the crime is not known, nor is the identity of the killer or killers,” the secretariat said.
In a separate incident Thursday, three human heads were found in three coolers in the town of Coyuca de Catalan, also in Guerrero, the provincial public security ministry said.
Two black bags and a blanket holding dismembered human body parts were found near the coolers. The authorities believe these may be the three bodies that correspond to the dismembered heads.
Armed groups linked to Mexico’s drug cartels murdered around 1,500 people in 2006 and 2,700 people in 2007, with the 2008 death toll soaring to more than 6,000.
So far this year more than 4,450 people have died.
- Four human heads found in Mexico - Feb 11, 2010
- Two dismembered bodies found outside Mexican bar - Dec 28, 2010
- Four human heads found in coolers in Mexico - Sep 26, 2009
- Five women decapitated in Mexican city - Apr 25, 2011
- Mass grave found in Mexico - May 31, 2010
- Nine bodies found on Mexican highway - Aug 21, 2011
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Shootout in Mexican city leaves 7 dead - Sep 25, 2010
- 13 die in Mexico shootout - May 16, 2011
- Mexican journalists demand end to killings - May 07, 2012
- Teenaged hitman who beheaded victims held in Mexico - Dec 04, 2010
- 24 killed in Mexico violence - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: black bags, chavarria, chilpancingo mexico, coolers, coyuca, death toll, democratic revolution, drug cartels, human body parts, interior minister, leftist party, legislator, murders, prd, provincial public, public security ministry, ranchers, secretariat, state lawmaker, unidentified gunmen