Staines killer’s nomination rejected in OrissaApril 6th, 2009 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 6 (IANS) The nomination papers filed by Dara Singh, serving a life term for killing Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two small sons in 1999, were Monday rejected after scrutiny in Orissa, officials said.
Dara Singh, who is currently lodged in Keonjhar jail, had filed his nomination papers by proxy Saturday as an independent candidate from the state’s Ghasipura assembly constituency in Keonjhar district, 235 km from the state capital.
However, his nomination papers were rejected because they were not supported by documents including an affidavit regarding his criminal antecedents, returning officer Surath Chandra Mallick told IANS.
India’s electoral laws bar anyone who has been sentenced to more than a two-year jail term from contesting elections, until six years after the completion of the sentence.
On Jan 22, 1999, a mob led by Dara Singh burnt alive Staines and his two sons, 10-year-old Philip and six-year-old Timothy, while they were asleep in their vehicle in Manoharpur, a village in Keonjhar district.
In September 2003, the district and sessions court of Khurda sentenced Dara Singh to death and handed down life terms to 12 of his associates. However, the Orissa High Court commuted the death penalty to life imprisonment in May 2005.
- Staines killer files papers for Orissa assembly poll - Apr 05, 2009
- Apex court upholds life for Graham Staines' killer (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Staines murder case: Supreme Court upholds life sentence for Dara Singh - Jan 21, 2011
- Graham Staines killing: A timeline - Jan 21, 2011
- Staines murder case: Dara Singh seeks review of SC judgement - Mar 09, 2011
- Supreme Court modifies words in Graham Staines murder verdict - Jan 25, 2011
- Apex court upholds life for Graham Staines' killers (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Welcome apex court decision on Dara Singh: Archbishop - Jan 21, 2011
- Missionary's killer Dara Singh moves apex court for review (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Apex court reserves ruling on sentence of Staines' killer - Dec 16, 2010
- Missionary's killer seeks review of apex court verdict - Mar 09, 2011
- Apex court modifies Graham Staines murder verdict (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Staines killing worse than carnage, apex court told - Nov 11, 2010
- Apex court upholds life term for Graham Staines' killers (Third Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- 14 held in Orissa for flouting conversion rules (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: affidavit, antecedents, bhubaneswar, chandra, constituency, dara singh, death penalty, electoral laws, graham staines, independent candidate, jail term, life imprisonment, mallick, mob, nomination papers, orissa high court, returning officer, scrutiny, sessions court, six years