Staines killer files papers for Orissa assembly pollApril 5th, 2009 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 4 (IANS) Dara Singh, serving a life term for killing Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two small sons in 1999, Saturday filed by proxy his nomination papers as an independent candidate from Orissa’s Ghasipura assembly constituency but these are likely to be rejected, an official said.
“A man named Nityananda Mohanta filed the nomination paper on behalf of Singh,” returning officer Surath Chandra Mallick told IANS.
“The nomination is likely to be rejected because it is not supported by any documents,” he added.
India’s electoral laws bar anyone who has been jailed for two years from contesting elections.
On Jan 22, 1999, a mob led by Dara Singh burnt alive Staines and his two sons, 10-year-old Philip and six-year-old Timothy, while they were asleep in their vehicle in Manoharpur, a village in Keonjhar district.
In September 2003, the district and sessions court of Khurda sentenced Dara Singh to death and handed down life terms to 12 of his associates. The Orissa High Court commuted Singh’s death penalty to life imprisonment in May 2005.
He is lodged in the district jail at Keonjhar, some 235 kms from here.
- Staines killer's nomination rejected in Orissa - Apr 06, 2009
- Apex court upholds life for Graham Staines' killer (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Graham Staines killing: A timeline - Jan 21, 2011
- Staines murder case: Supreme Court upholds life sentence for Dara Singh - Jan 21, 2011
- Staines murder case: Dara Singh seeks review of SC judgement - Mar 09, 2011
- Welcome apex court decision on Dara Singh: Archbishop - Jan 21, 2011
- Missionary's killer seeks review of apex court verdict - Mar 09, 2011
- Supreme Court modifies words in Graham Staines murder verdict - Jan 25, 2011
- Missionary's killer Dara Singh moves apex court for review (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Apex court upholds life for Graham Staines' killers (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Apex court modifies Graham Staines murder verdict (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Apex court reserves ruling on sentence of Staines' killer - Dec 16, 2010
- Staines killing worse than carnage, apex court told - Nov 11, 2010
- Apex court upholds life term for Graham Staines' killers (Third Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- 14 held in Orissa for flouting conversion rules (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: april 4, assembly poll, bhubaneswar, chandra, constituency, dara singh, death penalty, district jail, electoral laws, graham staines, independent candidate, life imprisonment, mallick, mob, nomination paper, nomination papers, orissa high court, proxy, returning officer, sessions court