Srinagar by-poll on May 30April 30th, 2009 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) The Election Commission Thursday said the by-poll in Kashmir’s Hazratbal assembly constituency will be held May 30.
The by-election was earlier scheduled to be held May 7 but the notification was cancelled last week after “improper acceptance” of nomination form of a National Conference candidate.
“By-election to Hazratbal assembly constituency will be held May 30. The poll process will start Monday,” said Deputy Election Commissioner R. Balakrishnan here.
Mustafa Kamal was the National Conference candidate from Hazratbal constituency, whose nomination papers triggered controversy forcing the Election Commission to re-notify the election date.
The nomination papers of Kamal, brother of party chief Farooq Abdullah, were accepted by the Hazratbal returning officer. But, Kamal’s name had not been mentioned in the relevant column of an authority letter from the party.
However, by-poll in Sonawar constituency would be held as per schedule May 7 simultaneously with the Lok Sabha elections in Srinagar constituency.
The two seats fell vacant following Farooq Abdullah’s resignation from the assembly on being elected to the Rajya Sabha. Abdullah had won both seats in November-December assembly polls.
- Kashmir assembly by-polls on April 23, May 7 - Mar 10, 2009
- By-poll in a Kashmir constituency cancelled - Apr 24, 2009
- PDP slams Election Commission for rescinding by-poll notification - Apr 24, 2009
- National Conference undecided about Srinagar Lok Sabha candidate - Apr 13, 2009
- Hisar Lok Sabha, five assembly by-polls Oct 13 - Sep 07, 2011
- YSR party complains to poll panel - Apr 21, 2011
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- Bypoll to South Kolkata Lok Sabha seat Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Bypolls for two Himachal constituencies Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- Mamata to fight Bhowanipore assembly seat Sep 25 (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Bypolls for two Haryana assembly seats Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Brisk voting in UP by-election at Mant - Jun 12, 2012
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- After Hisar defeat, uphill task for Hooda in by-polls - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, brother, constituency, controversy, election commission, election commissioner, farooq abdullah, kamal, kashmir, lok sabha elections, New Delhi, nomination form, nomination papers, party chief, poll, rajya sabha, resignation, returning officer, srinagar