Sri Lanka’s ruling party wins provincial pollsFebruary 15th, 2009 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 15 (Xinhua) Sri Lanka’s ruling United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) has swept provincial elections held Saturday, according to results announced Sunday.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s UPFA will thus retain control of both the Central and the North Western Provincial Councils, the Commissioner of Elections said.
Of the 40 polling divisions in the five districts in both provinces, the UPFA won 39. The main opposition United National Party (UNP) won only in Kandy in Central Province.
Election officials said the early results showed that about 65 percent of the 3.4 million voters in the two provinces had exercised their franchise.
About 1,370 candidates were in the fray for 56 seats in the Central Provincial Council while 1,209 candidates contested 50 seats in the North Western Provincial Council.
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins local council polls - Sep 09, 2012
- Ruling UPFA wins Lanka provincial polls - Feb 15, 2009
- Sri Lankan Tamil party seeks support to form eastern province government - Sep 09, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ruling coalition wins in provincial polls (Lead) - Feb 15, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ruling coalition sweeps provincial poll (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
- President Rajapaksa's brother elected new speaker of parliament - Apr 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling alliance wins local elections - Aug 09, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins local council elections - Jul 24, 2011
- Fonseka says he is victim of 'unlawful detention' (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief says his detention 'unlawful' (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Ruling party wins parliamentary elections in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins parliamentary elections (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins big in parliamentary polls - Apr 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka opposition resists more powers to president - Sep 07, 2010
- Ruling party expected to win provincial polls in Sri Lanka - Feb 14, 2009
Tags: central province, commissioner of elections, election officials, franchise, freedom alliance, kandy, mahinda rajapaksa, opposition, president mahinda rajapaksa, provincial council, provincial councils, provincial elections, provincial polls, ruling party, sri lanka, united national party, unp, upfa, xinhua