Sri Lankan president orders security for Nasheed’s wifeFebruary 11th, 2012 - 2:11 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 11 (IANS) Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has instructed the police chief for providing security to the wife of ousted Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed, said a presidential statement here Friday.
After arriving in Sri Lanka Wednesday, Nasheed’s wife Laila had contacted Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa over the telephone. Rajapaksa then instructed Inspector General of Police N.K. Illangakoon to provide security for her and ensure her safety, Xinhua reported.
The Sri Lankan president has also requested Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed for ensuring Nasheed’s safety.
“President Waheed assured President Rajapaksa that he would ensure the safety of the former president of the Maldives,” the statement added.
Before flying off for a State visit to Pakistan, Rajapaksa had also telephoned former Maldivian President Nasheed and inquired about his safety.
- Ex-president's family flees Maldives (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Nasheed not to seek asylum in Sri Lanka: Daily - Feb 12, 2012
- Arrest Nasheed, says court as ex-president's family flees (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- US official reaches Maldives - Feb 11, 2012
- Maldives sets up probe commission on power transfer - Feb 22, 2012
- Maldivian President Waheed to make first ever visit to India - May 10, 2012
- US favours independent probe in Maldives - Feb 14, 2012
- Maldives to probe allegation of coup to oust Nasheed (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Nasheed's supporters rally against new Maldives government - Feb 12, 2012
- Maldives' new government agrees to hold early elections - Feb 17, 2012
- Maldives proposes presidential polls in 2013 - Apr 18, 2012
- Maldivian cabinet reappointed - Jul 07, 2010
- US concerned over protests in Male - Mar 01, 2012
- Maldives' ousted president seeks global help for democracy - Feb 09, 2012
- Maldives' ex-president Gayoom returns to homeland - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: former president, inspector general, laila, mahinda rajapaksa, maldives, pakistan, police chief, president mahinda rajapaksa, president mohamed, president orders, sri lanka, sri lankan president, waheed, xinhua