Sri Lanka to formulate political solution: Tamil partySeptember 18th, 2011 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Sep 17 (IANS) The Sri Lankan government has agreed to formulate a political solution to the ethnic issue very soon, a key minority Tamil political party said Saturday.
The Tamil National Alliance, which had talks with the Sri Lankan government Friday, said that an agreement was also reached to look beyond the 13th Amendment to the constitution, reported Xinhua.
Under an India-Sri Lankan Accord in July 1987, the then Sri Lankan government agreed to devolve some authority to the provinces by introducing the 13th Amendment.
However the 13th Amendment had never been fully implemented and this has been a sticky point at consecutive elections in Sri Lanka with Tamils demanding more authority for their areas.
Tamil National Alliance legislator Suresh Premachandran said Saturday that the Sri Lankan government has agreed to look at the 13th Amendment and go beyond it when formulating a political solution.
The Tamil National Alliance and the Sri Lankan government, which began talks focusing on Tamil issues, suspended negotiations last month following disagreement between both sides.
However international pressure, especially from India, saw discussions resume on Friday and a joint statement later being released saying talks will continue even next month.
Premachandran said that the focus of future talks will be on reaching a final political solution to the concerns of the Tamils.
Sri Lanka fought a 30 year war against Tamil Tiger rebels who were demanding a separate state for the Tamils in the north and east of the country.
The Tamil Tigers were defeated in May 2009 and after that the Sri Lankan government said it will discuss concerns of the Tamil community by putting forward a political solution.
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of empowering ethnic Tamils (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Krishna heads to Sri Lanka, devolution tops agenda - Jan 15, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils want self-determination: Diaspora group - Jan 16, 2012
- Krishna to visit Sri Lanka Jan 16 - Jan 07, 2012
- Krishna heads to Lanka, hopes for solution to Tamils' problems (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamil party seeks support to form eastern province government - Sep 09, 2012
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of power-devolution to Tamils - Jan 17, 2012
- Mathai to visit Sri Lanka - Oct 05, 2011
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Probe human rights violations, India urges Sri Lanka - May 17, 2011
- Rajpaksa Govt unwilling to set timeframe for devolving powers to Tamils - Oct 16, 2010
- Rajapaksa has given firm commitment to empower Tamils: Krishna - Jan 20, 2012
- Punish the war guilty, US tells Sri Lanka - Sep 14, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, tries to pacify Colombo (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to jointly develop fisheries - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: 13th amendment to the constitution, amendment to the constitution, consecutive elections, disagreement, ethnic issue, India, july 1987, legislator, national alliance, negotiations, political solution, sri lanka, sri lankan government, suresh, tamil community, tamil tiger rebels, tamil tigers, tamils, tiger, xinhua