Sri Lanka revokes foreign journalist’s expulsion orderJanuary 31st, 2010 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 31 (IANS) An expulsion order served on a visiting Swiss journalist in Sri Lanka has been revoked, the presidential media office said here Sunday.
Karen Wenger had been asked to leave by Feb 1 following a question she had raised at a government press conference concerning Tuesday’s presidential election.
She was accused of damaging Sri Lanka’s image and the department of government information cancelled her media accreditation that is required to do reporting from the island.
The media office said President Mahinda Rajapaksa had ordered the authorities to allow Wenger to continue her work.
Rajapaksa won a resounding victory in Tuesday’s election, but the opposition parties said the result was manipulated.
- Ex-president's family flees Maldives (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sri Lankan president orders security for Nasheed's wife - Feb 11, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Use music show funds for flood relief: Rajapaksa - Feb 08, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka's former army chief vows to topple government - Jun 14, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- India must ensure Rajapaksa faces war crimes trial - Apr 22, 2011
- Ramesh to review India-aided projects in Sri Lanka - Jul 12, 2012
- EU wants fair trail for Sri Lanka detainees - May 06, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- India reassures Sri Lankan Tamils of speedy resettlement - Sep 02, 2010
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: authorities, expulsion, government information, government press, journalist, mahinda rajapaksa, media accreditation, opposition parties, president mahinda rajapaksa, presidential election, resounding victory, sri lanka, wenger