Sri Lanka issue failed in Tamil Nadu, says MaranMay 16th, 2009 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) DMK leader Dayanidhi Maran said Saturday that the victory of his party in the Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu showed that the Sri Lankan issue had failed to sway voters in the state.
As the DMK proved pollsters wrong with a strong performance in a majority of Tamil Nadu’s 39 Lok Sabha seats, Maran told NDTV TV: “People (of Tamil Nadu) have given a clear mandate.”
Asked if the emotive issue of Sri Lanka’s military offensive against the Tamil Tigers had played a role in balloting, as many had expected, he said: “That has not played a role.”
AIADMK leader J. Jayalalithaa and her allies in the MDMK and PMK had taken an aggressive line in Tamil Nadu during the election campaign blaming the Sri Lankan and Indian governments for the suffering of Tamil civilians in the island nation.
Jayalalithaa threatened to send the Indian Army to Sri Lanka to carve out a Tamil Eelam state if her coalition won most seats in Tamil Nadu and if she ended up playing a key role in government formation in New Delhi.
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Blazing a trail, Jayalalithaa fires salvo at Chidambaram, Maran (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa springs surprise, attacks Chidambaram (Intro Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- MDMK breaks away from AIADMK, to boycott elections - Mar 20, 2011
- DMK, Congress to hold seat sharing talks Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- AIADMK in seat-sharing deal with Muslim party - Feb 20, 2011
- MDMK quits AIADMK alliance, to boycott elections (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Congress, DMK preparing to shake hands again? (Night Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- DMK holds quit notice, parleys on with Congress (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2011
- India non-committal on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Won't sacrifice seats for Congress: PMK - Mar 08, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Amid DMK troubles, Jayalalithaa creates ripples in Delhi (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2011
- 2G no issue, Congress won't embrace AIADMK: DMK (Interview) - May 16, 2011
Tags: aggressive line, dayanidhi maran, election campaign, elections in tamil nadu, emotive issue, government formation, indian army, indian governments, island nation, j jayalalithaa, key role, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, mdmk, ndtv, pollsters, sri lankan, tamil civilians, tamil eelam, tamil tigers