Spying scandal rocks Spanish oppositionJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Jan 22 (DPA) An alleged spying scandal Thursday rocked Spain’s main opposition conservative People’s Party (PP) against a backdrop of underlying power struggles.The Madrid regional government used former police officers to spy on the movements and meetings of Mayor Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon’s deputy and on a regional senior official close to PP leader Mariano Rajoy, the daily El Pais reported.
The spying would have occurred in 2008 during a power struggle between Madrid regional Prime Minister Esperanza Aguirre and Ruiz-Gallardon, who are the main candidates to succeed Rajoy.
The daily El Mundo said Aguirre’s deputy had also been spied on, and linked the affair with a struggle between Aguirre and Ruiz-Gallardon to control the Caja Madrid bank.
The newspaper El Economista included Caja Madrid president Miguel Blesa among the victims of the alleged spy network.
Rajoy has said he believes Aguirre’s statement that she was not aware of possible spying.
PP spokesman Esteban Gonzalez Pons accused Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero’s Socialist government of involvement, and called on prosecutors to intervene.
The affair was seen as dealing a new blow to the PP, where Rajoy’s leadership came under criticism after he suffered his second election defeat to Zapatero in March 2008.
- Huffington Post launches Spanish-language edition - Jun 08, 2012
- Madrid's first woman mayor takes office - Dec 28, 2011
- Mexico to drop photo of Madrid mayor's air-kiss from anti-flu ad - Nov 14, 2009
- Spain's king warns of hard times to come - Dec 14, 2011
- Spanish PM says he's focused on euro, Spain's interests - Sep 03, 2012
- EU needs fiscal, bank integration: Spanish PM - Jun 06, 2012
- Spanish king confers highest honour on Sarkozy - Jan 17, 2012
- Spain to overhaul savings banks - May 06, 2010
- Markets hammer Spanish bonds - Aug 03, 2011
- Spanish Olympic Chief: Why we need 2020 Games - Nov 29, 2011
- Spain's Catalonia approves bullfight ban - Jul 29, 2010
- Tensions rise in Madrid ahead of Copa del Rey final - May 25, 2012
- Spain's PM-elect vows to slash deficit, boost pensions - Dec 20, 2011
- EU must be more decisive to protect euro: Spain, France - Aug 31, 2012
- Sarkozy set to meet Spanish PM after S&P; downgrade - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: alberto ruiz gallardon, backdrop, caja madrid bank, el economista, election defeat, esperanza aguirre, jose luis rodriguez, jose luis rodriguez zapatero, luis rodriguez, luis rodriguez zapatero, mariano rajoy, police officers, pons, power struggle, prime minister jose luis rodriguez zapatero, prosecutors, regional government, scandal rocks, socialist government, spy network