Sporadic violence in Tamil Nadu after Prabhakaran’s deathMay 19th, 2009 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 19 (IANS) Violent protests erupted in parts of Tamil Nadu Tuesday following the death of Tamil Tiger chief V. Prabhakaran and other top leaders of the terrorist outfit in Sri Lanka.
In Vellore, 135 km from here, members of the Viduthalai Chiruthaikal Katchi (VCK) organised a sit-in during which some buses were stoned.
Around 90 prisoners in Coimbatore Central Jail went on hunger strike to protest the killing of Tamils in Sri Lanka by the army there.
Some of the prisoners on the fast are those who were arrested in connection with the attack on an Indian Army convoy near Coimbatore a couple of weeks ago.
Director General of Police K.P. Jain said security forces were on alert.
Security in the coastal areas has also been tightened in the wake of possible incursion of Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) guerrillas into Indian territory following the death of their leader Prabhakaran.
The body of Prabhakaran has been found, the Sri Lankan defence ministry said Tuesday as the state-run TV there showed the body kept on a stretcher.
Security around the Sri Lankan high commission here, office of the Sri Lankan Airlines, offices of the Congress and the DMK here has been stepped up.
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- Tamil groups protest against Sri Lankan delegation's visit to Coimbatore - Dec 04, 2010
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Nalini shifted from Vellore to Chennai prison - Jun 28, 2010
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Regional Tamil party stages protest against Lankan Government in Chennai - Oct 22, 2009
- Tamils protest for a separate state for Sri Lankan Tamils - Nov 28, 2009
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Five jailed by Hague court for helping LTTE - Oct 22, 2011
- Tamil Nadu lawmakers for probe into Nalini having a phone in jail - Apr 22, 2010
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: alert security, central jail, coastal areas, defence ministry, dmk, guerrillas, hunger strike, incursion, indian army, indian territory, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, sporadic violence, sri lankan airlines, sri lankan high commission, tamil tiger, tamils, vck, vellore, viduthalai, violent protests