Speedy decisions on Posco, Vedanta: Jayanthi NatarajanJuly 17th, 2011 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) While insisting that the environment must be protected at all costs, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan Sunday said “the past is over” and she will ensure speedy decisions on major projects like Posco and Vedanta.
In an interview to news channel CNN-IBN, Natarajan, who last week succeeded Jairam Ramesh as the environment minister, said there should be clarity on decisions taken on environmental projects and that once a clearance is given, it should not be changed or revoked.
“While I will insist that at all costs the environment must be protected in all its dimensions, the easy way to do it is to make sure that there is a speedy decision…and that I can do and will facilitate,” she said while speaking on the ministry’s stand on mega projects like Posco and Vedanta.
“There should be a one window clearance and there should be complete clarity. I will make sure that there will be no confusion and complete clarity but having said that, in the past perhaps there was something that came up later that necessitated a change. The past is over and I will ensure that complete clarity on these issues exists,” she added.
After reports that a green signal had been given to the Vedanta project at Lanjigarh in Orissa for bauxite mining near the Niyamgiri reserve forest, the environment ministry under Ramesh had July 2 denied granting clearance to it.
Similarly South Korean steel major Posco’s $12 billion steel project in Orissa was given conditional clearance by the environment ministry last May after taking a tough stand.
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- No environment clearance to Vedanta - Jul 02, 2011
- Orissa to examine rejection of Vedanta clearance (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Environment ministry to give decision on Vedanta mining project - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa protests rejection of Vedanta clearance - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa seeking legal opinion on Vedanta project - Oct 28, 2010
- Patnaik meets PM, seeks clearance to Posco, Vedanta - Aug 23, 2010
- Environment Ministry rejects Vedanta mining project in Orissa - Aug 24, 2010
- Villagers seek allocation of bauxite for Vedanta plant - Aug 29, 2012
- Jairam Ramesh: politics of compromise or middle path? - May 12, 2011
- Orissa CM meets PM, seeks assurance on Vedanta, Posco projects - Aug 23, 2010
- 100 held for protesting Vedanta project - Aug 26, 2010
- Niyamgiri tribals join anti-Posco protests - Jul 07, 2011
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Environment ministry stops Vedanta's refinery expansion in Orissa - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: clarity, cnn, cnn ibn, confusion, decisions, environment minister, environmental projects, jayanthi, jayanthi natarajan, july 17, major projects, New Delhi, orissa, posco, ramesh, south korean, steel project, vedanta