Special UDF meet to clear doubts about investor meetSeptember 4th, 2012 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 4 (IANS) The ruling Congress-led United Democratic Front in Kerala has called a special meeting Thursday to clear all doubts and allegations levelled by the opposition about the “Emerging Kerala 2012″ investment meet this month.
“The UDF is meeting here on Thursday evening and there we will take stock of the needless controversy. We will never ever compromise the interest of the state and that has been made clear at the outset itself,” said a top UDF leader who did not wish to be identified.
V.S. Achuthanandan, the leader of opposition, Monday shot off a letter to Chandy expressing fears on the manner in which this investor meet is being held.
Earlier, he had alleged that meet would lead to nothing but corruption as the Oomen Chandy government is interested only giving land to the cash-rich companies in the guise of bringing in investment.
But Chandy has said: “We are here to explain to all what we are going to do in the most transparent manner and what has happened now is a section is coming up with baseless allegations which have no merit. We will certainly interact with anyone who has any fears.”
What has also surprised many is that a few Congress legislators in a blog have said they are for the investor meet but the investments should not degrade environment in the state.
But Chief Whip P.C. George said: “Some people are upset in a golf course that’s coming up in the most picturesque destination in Wagamon, a hill station area. Let someone tell me how will a golf course bring about environment degradation.”
Around 52 countries have confirmed their participation in the meet to be held in Kochi Sep 12-14, which would be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Projects of 20 different sectors will be showcased during the meet.
Industries Minister P.K. Kunhalikutty said: “What we have done is broadly identified sectors and the projects will be analysed threadbare. We will certainly discuss with Achuthanandan to clear his doubts.”
- Chandy invites India Inc to invest in Kerala - May 14, 2012
- Kerala expecting huge overseas investment: Chandy - Apr 20, 2012
- Chandy assures transparency in all projects - Sep 12, 2012
- We will win 100 seats: Oommen Chandy (Interview) - Mar 03, 2011
- Emerging Kerala investment meet to see 51 nations taking part - Aug 31, 2012
- Chandy, Achuthanandan wrangle over investors meet - Sep 06, 2012
- Chandy off to Delhi to discuss fifth berth controversy - Apr 15, 2012
- Chandy expects Left's cooperation at 'Emerging Kerala' meet - Sep 10, 2012
- Kerala promises single window clearance to lure investors - Apr 21, 2012
- Australia wants to partner Kerala in agro-based services - Jun 18, 2012
- Kerala's IUML elects Kunhalikutty as legislative party leader - May 16, 2011
- Kerala's agenda tailor-made to attract investments: Chandy (With Images) - May 15, 2012
- Achuthanandan seeks CBI probe in sex scandal case - Sep 02, 2011
- Caste considerations at play as Chandy mulls cabinet expansion (Kerala Newsletter) - Apr 07, 2012
- Antony confident of UDF victory in Kerala - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: c george, chief whip, democratic front, different sectors, doubts, environment degradation, guise, industries minister, kerala, kochi, kunhalikutty, leader of opposition, legislators, manmohan, manmohan singh, oomen chandy, outset, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, transparent manner