Special status for Goa: BJP promisesApril 14th, 2009 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 14 (IANS) The Goa unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday promised that if the party comes to power at the centre it will amend Article 371 of the constitution to accord special status to the state.
Leader of Opposition in the Goa assembly Manohar Parrikar also said that the BJP would take back the land given to SEZ promoters and give it to Goan entrepreneurs to develop it and also crack down on illegal and indiscriminate mining.
Parrikar, in presence of the two party candidates for the North and South Goa seats — Shripad Naik and Narendra Savoikar, respectively, said: “Like the hilly border states, Goa also needs a special status to retain its cultural identity and integrity.”
“It is a small state. Large scale migrations from other regions could change the demographic identity of Goa in no time,” he said and promised that if elected to power, the BJP would amend article 371 of the constitution to accord special status to Goa. “We need immediate restrictions on the sale and conversion of land,” Parrikar said.
Parrikar said that the 3.8 million sq mt land “fraudulently” handed over by the Congress-led alliance government to the SEZ promoters had been blocked and the Goa Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) had been “dragging its feet” over claiming the land back.
“We will take the land back from the SEZ promoters immediately and ensure that Goan entrepreneurs are given ample opportunity to utilize the state’s land resources,” he said.
Promising an immediate halt and a probe into illegal mining in the state, Parrikar also alleged that four ministers in the state government had been carrying out illegal mining at the cost of the environment.
“There are 12 to 16 illegal mines in South Goa and eight illegal mines in North Goa, where Congress ministers are running the show. We will put an end to this,” Parrikar said.
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- Freezing influx, brain drain necessary to develop Goa: CM - Jul 02, 2012
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010
- Goa speaker biased: Parrikar - Oct 08, 2011
- 24 instances of illegal mining in Goa, says Parrikar - Jul 23, 2012
- Police file case over Goa land allotment - Aug 18, 2012
- After ousting Congress, BJP has to deliver on promises (Goa Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- Roadmap aside, urgent issues await Sonia in Goa - Dec 16, 2011
- Parrikar's mining flip flop angers activists - Jul 17, 2012
- Western Ghats being handed over to mining barons: Goa's green campaigner - Jul 05, 2012
- Before denial, Parrikar said illegal mining 'incessant' in Goa - Jul 18, 2012
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Parrikar's Lokayukta promise caught in red tape - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: alliance government, ample opportunity, bharatiya janata party, bjp, border states, cultural identity, gidc, goa assembly, land resources, leader of opposition, manohar parrikar, naik, narendra, north goa, panaji, party candidates, scale migrations, south goa, sq mt, state leader