Special MGNREGS courts planned: RameshNovember 9th, 2011 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said Tuesday the central government would consult the Supreme Court on setting up special courts under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MNREGS) to punish those found guilty of misusing funds meant for the rural poor.
The move comes against the backdrop of reports of embezzlement and corruption in the ambitious rural job guarantee scheme.
The minister said that Andhra Pradesh has passed an ordinance for setting up special courts to ensure that officials against whom action is taking as a result of social audit do not use the judiciary to delay the process.
“I think it is a good initiative and it is worthwhile adopting this system in other states. We will consult the Supreme Court in the matter as well,” Ramesh said on the sidelines of a workshop on social audit of the MGNREGS.
Ramesh had last month written to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati asking her to recommend a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe against those responsible for embezzlement of MNREGS funds in the state.
- All rural development schemes to be audited: Ramesh - Dec 13, 2011
- MoU with CAG to audit rural development schemes: Ramesh - Oct 09, 2011
- Jharkhand spent only 38 percent of job scheme funds - Dec 14, 2011
- Aadhaar to pilot pensions, wages in 50 districts, says Ramesh - Jul 01, 2012
- Increase work days in rural job scheme, demands Dhumal - Oct 15, 2011
- KBC winner will be rural job scheme brand ambassador - Nov 14, 2011
- Mayawati accuses Congress of targeting her government - Nov 19, 2011
- CBI begins probe in Orissa rural jobs scheme fraud - May 24, 2011
- Ramesh, Mayawati in duel over corruption - Oct 28, 2011
- Ramesh again urges Mayawati for CBI probe in rural jobs scheme - Nov 17, 2011
- Ramesh proposes CBI probe into rural job scheme in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 25, 2011
- Learn from Andhra on job scheme, Ramesh tells Orissa - Aug 14, 2011
- Rural job scheme bungling: Over 2,000 officials booked - May 23, 2011
- Ensure minimum wages under job scheme, Aruna Roy urges PM - Jan 22, 2012
- Ministers to brief state Congress chiefs on welfare schemes - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: backdrop, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, central government, chief minister, corruption, development minister, embezzlement, guarantee scheme, initiative, jairam ramesh, job, judiciary, mahatma gandhi, New Delhi, rural development, sidelines, social audit, special courts, supreme court