Special functions to enrol new voters: Poll panelJanuary 12th, 2011 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 11 (IANS) The Election Commission of India Tuesday said it will organise special functions across the country Jan 25 to mark the enrolment of about 20 million youth in the electoral rolls.The commission has decided to make the enrolment of the youth a national movement and organise the functions Jan 25, the commission’s golden jubilee day which is also being celebrated as National Voters Day, Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi told reporters here.
Speaking after the conclusion of a two-days symposium on sharing best electoral practices and zonal conference of chief electoral officers of eastern states that concluded Tuesday, he said 20 million new voters are expected to be added to the electoral rolls and will be issued their voter identity cards in special functions on the first National Voter’s Day.
Quraishi said the President Pratibha Patil would inaugurate the day at the Rashtrapati Bhavan and simultaneously, functions would also be organised in blocks and districts across the country
Expressing concern over the less participation of young people in the electoral process, he said that in many cases, the enrolment of young voters aged 18 to 19 segments was 30 to 35 percent.
- Country-wide programmes to mark National Voters' Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Kalam, Dhoni to urge young voters to register - Jan 24, 2012
- Shutdown brings normal life to standstill in Meghalaya - May 14, 2012
- Involve youth in election process: Quraishi - Aug 31, 2010
- Poll panel's tableau - first in Republic Day parade history - Jan 26, 2012
- Young Goa voters to be enrolled in colleges - Sep 20, 2011
- Cabinet approves National Voters' Day Jan 25 - Jan 20, 2011
- Union Cabinet declares January 25 as 'National Voters' Day' - Jan 20, 2011
- Facebook, Twitter to woo youth to vote - Nov 12, 2011
- Poll panel showcases ballot power in R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Election Commission to send EVM technical team to Pakistan - Jan 28, 2011
- ECI, CEC of Russian Federation to sign MoU in field of elections tomorrow - Dec 20, 2010
- President Patil expresses concern over use of money power in elections - Jan 25, 2011
- Remo to play pied piper to young Goan voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,