Special EVMs for Sikkim’s Buddhist monks, nunsApril 28th, 2009 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) The Election Commission has provided special electronic voting machines (EVMs) at all polling stations in Sikkim to enable Buddhist monks and nuns to vote from anywhere, Deputy Election Commissioner J.P. Prakash said here Tuesday.
“Sangha voters are Buddhist monks and nuns living in different monastries in the state. The registered monks and nuns can cast their votes in any polling station. Special EVMs will be provided to exercise their franchise,” Prakash said.
There are 3,058 Sangha voters - 3,021 monks and 37 nuns.
“Three EVMs will be installed in each of the polling stations, where there are Sangha voters - one for the local resident voters to elect legislator and another one for electing the MP and the third one for the Sangha voters,” Prakash said.
Sikkim will vote for Lok Sabha and assembly elections in the third phase April 30.
- Chamling set to return to power (Poll curtainraiser - Sikkim) - Apr 29, 2009
- Uncertainty over simultaneous counting of votes for civic bodies' polls - Jan 11, 2012
- Kashmir panchayat polls see large turnout again - May 04, 2011
- Struggle for gender equality in Buddhism ups global pitch - Dec 02, 2011
- Over 55 percent turnout in Delhi civic polls, highest in 15 years (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2012
- Re-poll ordered in five Tamil Nadu constituencies - Apr 14, 2011
- Civic elections: Delhi poll panel hopes for high turnout - Apr 09, 2012
- Average voting in initial hours of Delhi civic polls (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- EVMs for assembly polls checked in parties' presence: Quraishi - Mar 02, 2011
- New voting machine with paper trail tested - Jul 26, 2011
- Order reserved on Swamy's plea on voting machines (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Large participation in Kashmir third phase panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Swamy's plea on voting machines disposed of - Jan 17, 2012
- Counting of votes begins in Sikkim - May 16, 2009
- Elections at a glance - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, buddhist monks and nuns, election commission, election commissioner, electronic voting machines, evms, franchise, legislator, Lok Sabha, monastries, monks and nuns, mp, New Delhi, polling station, polling stations, prakash, sangha, sikkim