Special attention to Uttar Pradesh if BSP comes to power: MayawatiApril 11th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 11 (IANS) If the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) comes to power at the centre after the Lok Sabha polls, it would give “special attention” to Uttar Pradesh for its all-round development, BSP supremo and state Chief Minister Mayawati said Saturday.
“BSP promises to give your state special attention for upgrading its health, education, agriculture and other facilities once it forms the government at the centre,” Mayawati told a gathering in Azamgarh district, some 300 km from Lucknow.
Attacking the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) now in power at the centre, Mayawati held it responsible for backwardness in the state.
“The UPA government has completely ignored the state. Despite my several reminders to release a special package of Rs.80,000 crore (Rs.800 billion) for the development of the state, the UPA government till date has done nothing.”
Mayawati also slammed the UPA government for not acting on the state government’s recommendations for providing reservation to poor people belonging to upper castes.
“I have written several letters to the central government, but it has not responded to any letter. It is up to the UPA government to make an amendment in the constitution so that the poor belonging to upper castes can also avail reservation benefits.
“If we are voted to power at the centre, we will take necessary steps at the earliest for providing reservation to economically weaker sections of the upper castes,” Mayawati added.
The BSP supremo reiterated that law and order would remain one of the top priorities of her government and said: “Anybody, be it the son of Gandhi family will not be allowed to break the law.” She was referring to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi, who is presently in Uttar Pradesh’s Etah jail for his alleged hate speeches.
Hitting out at Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party’s general secretary Rahul Gandhi without naming them, Mayawati said: “The drama of sleeping in a Dalit’s home or sharing food with them will not help Dalits to raise their living standards.”
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
- Congress, BSP ignoring Muslims: Mulayam - Nov 16, 2011
- Rahul keeps up attack on Mayawati, Mulayam - Jan 31, 2012
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Mayawati seeks reservation for upper caste poor - Sep 18, 2011
- Battle of titans in UP: Maya, Sonia cross swords (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Mayawati seeks reservation for Muslims - Sep 18, 2011
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh set to vote amid hung house prediction - Feb 07, 2012
- I hold master key to power, thunders Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Mayawati could be jailed for corruption: Uma Bharti - Nov 28, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi figures prominently in Mayawati's speech (Lead) - Nov 27, 2011
- Will Mayawati's magic work in 2012? Pundits doubtful - Jan 31, 2012
- All eyes on Muslim vote in Uttar Pradesh (UP Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Maya stokes Jat fire in west UP - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: backwardness, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, congress president sonia gandhi, crore, general secretary, lok sabha polls, lucknow, necessary steps, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, rs 800, several letters, state chief, top priorities, upper castes, varun gandhi