Speaker’s column: what Somnath Chatterjee saidJuly 22nd, 2008 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) For the second day Tuesday, Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee had his hands full while presiding over the debate on the crucial vote of confidence for the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government. His one-liners in Bengali-accented Hindi through the day kept the House in good humour. In his stentorian voice, Chatterjee was either rebuking MPs or asking them to cooperate.
Some of his quotes were :
- “Your shouting is a disease and it is spreading,” to members who were disrupting proceedings.
- “The time has come when this parliament should face elections”, while chiding members again.
- At 11.55 a.m. - “I will put the motion to vote now if the house behaves in this manner.”
- “You are very intelligent, don’t pose to be so.” (To BJP members)
- “Never before has this house heard some of the speeches I have heard this time.” (To Communist leader Gurudas Das Gupta.)
- “Aap naam se wati hata dijiye.” (To Rahul Gandhi - you remove the ‘wati’ from the name). This was in reference to the name of a woman, Kalawati, mentioned by Gandhi in his speech. Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) members had stood up to protest the name Kalawati. The obvious reference was to the ‘wati’ in BSP leader and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati’s name.
- “You don’t worry, lawyers are there for it.” (on legal clarifications on the nuclear deal.)
- “Kya ho raha. Go to your seats.” (What is happening?)
- “Behen-ji bas ho gaya.” (To young MP Ranjeet Ranjan, requesting her to end her speech).
- ” They (convicted MPs) are honourable members of this house. No aspersions should be made on them.” (With regard to jailbirds Pappu Yadav (Rajesh Ranjan) and Mohammad Shahabuddin who were brought to the house for the trust vote).
- Relatives of jailed MLA ask Mayawati to intervene in Banda rape case - Jan 24, 2011
- Histrionics, poetry and frayed nerves - Mamata at her best (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- Alleged anti-north India remark by Chidambaram draws flak - Mar 25, 2011
- UPA defeats opposition amendments on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Chatterjee prompts Rahul to modify speech (Political Prattle - 2) - Jul 22, 2008
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Government wins first NCTC battle in parliament (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Second Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Shukla caught on mike telling Kurien to adjourn Rajya Sabha - Aug 21, 2012
- SP, BSP, Trinamool bailout government on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Third Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- SP, BSP, Trinamool help government score in Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Samajawadi Party, BSP walk out before Lokpal vote - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: aspersions, chief minister, communist leader, good humour, gurudas, honourable members, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, name of a woman, nuclear deal, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, ranjeet, shahabuddin, stentorian voice, trust vote, vote of confidence, wati