Speaker Somnath Chatterjee starts writing his memoirsMay 6th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee has started writing his memoirs as his tenure is coming to an end after the new house is elected later this month, an official said Wednesday.
“At the moment, he is busy with his book,” said a senior official with the speaker’s office.
The speaker Wednesday made a courtesy farewell call on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his office in Parliament House.
“It was just a courtesy farewell visit,” the official who did not wish to be named told IANS.
Chatterjee has been actively engaged in various programmes during his last days as the Lok Sabha speaker.
“Today (Wednesday) the speaker, along with the prime minister, leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha L.K. Advani and other parliamentarians paid floral tribute to Motilal Nehru at the Central Hall of Parliament on his birth anniversary,” said the official.
“President Pratibha Patil yesterday (Tuesday) hosted a lunch in honour of the speaker, which is unheard of in the past,” he said.
“Both Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also hosted a dinner separately in the honour of Chatterjee last month,” the official said.
On Monday, Chatterjee visited ailing former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
“He also visited Vice President Hamid Ansari Monday,” the official said.
Chatterjee along with Ansari laid the foundation stone for the new Parliament House annexe building Tuesday.
The speaker has also been busy with seminars and lectures.
“He will inaugurate an international seminar on comparative contexts of discrimination at India Habitat Centre today (Wednesday) evening,” said the official.
“Before demitting the office, he will go to Kolkata for a short while. He is likely to shift to the new house in his home state at the end of this month,” he said.
“His wife is building a new house near Santiniketan,” he added.
- At parliament goodbye, President Patil cautions against disruptions - Jul 23, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Saudi parliamentary delegation in India - May 07, 2012
- PM congratulates Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Lok Sabha ex-speakers may get better retirement benefits (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
- Lok Sabha ex-speakers may get better retirement benefits - Apr 30, 2012
- Trivedi's fate rocks parliament, forces adjournment - Mar 15, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Congress - Jun 14, 2012
- Advani, Jayalalithaa to 'coordinate' on presidential polls (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Special session to mark 60 years of Indian Parliament - May 05, 2012
- Who will be next president? Many names but could be another dark horse (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Akali Dal leader urges PM to call special session of Parliament to discuss corruption - Apr 09, 2011
- UPA will shortly decide on presidential candidate: Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: birth anniversary, floral tribute, former prime minister, foundation stone, hamid ansari, india habitat centre, international seminar, l k advani, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, nehru, new parliament house, parliamentarians, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, santiniketan, somnath chatterjee, vajpayee