Speaker Nancy Pelosi to run for House Minority LeaderNovember 6th, 2010 - 1:48 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) — Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday announced that she will run to become House Minority Leader in the next Congress.
Pelosi, 70, the first female Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, initially made the announcement through her Twitter account that read: “Driven by the urgency of creating jobs & protecting #hcr, #wsr, Social Security & Medicare, I am running for Dem Leader.”
Pelosi’s office quickly followed with an official statement in which she speaks to her Democratic colleagues.
“Our work is far from finished,” the statement reads. “As a result of Tuesday’s election, the role of Democrats in the 112th Congress will change, but our commitment to serving the American people will not. We have no intention of allowing our great achievements to be rolled back. It is my hope that we can work in a bipartisan way to create jobs and strengthen the middle class.”
“Many of our colleagues have called with their recommendations on how to continue our fight for the middle class, and have encouraged me to run for House Democratic Leader.”
“Based on those discussions, and driven by the urgency of protecting health care reform, Wall Street reform, and Social Security and Medicare, I have decided to run.”
Pelosi will be running for minority leader after the Democratic Party lost at least 60 seats, resulting in the Republicans taking control of the chamber.
- US congressional debt panel composition set - Aug 12, 2011
- Nancy Pelosi Elected To Lead The Minority - Nov 18, 2010
- Bipartisan Deficit Panel's Recommendations Restrict Social Security - Nov 11, 2010
- Romney picks conservative Paul Ryan as running mate - Aug 11, 2012
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- U.S. House Speaker Pelosi requests continued support from Communications Workers of America - Jul 29, 2010
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Nancy Pelosi Elected As The Democrats' Chief In The American House Amid Winds Of Democratic Resentment Against Her - Nov 20, 2010
- Pelosi talks Tibet with China's leaders - May 28, 2009
- Restore middle class, end 'Washington games': Obama - Sep 06, 2011
- US Congress extends tax cut, jobless benefits - Feb 18, 2012
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- Obama offers $447 billion jobs plan to jolt economy - Sep 09, 2011
- Nancy Pelosi's Political Future Uncertain After Midterm Debacle Of Democrats - Nov 04, 2010
- Nancy Pelosi Brings The House Fight To An End - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: bno, democratic colleagues, democratic party, female speaker, health care reform, house democratic leader, house of representatives, intention, medicare, middle class, minority leader, nancy pelosi, protecting health, republicans, social security, social security and medicare, speaker nancy pelosi, urgency, wall street, washington d c