Spanish king confers Order of the Golden Fleece on diplomatJune 16th, 2010 - 3:25 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, June 16 (IANS/EFE) Spanish King Juan Carlos has conferred the country’s highest honour, the Order of the Golden Fleece, on former NATO secretary-general Javier Solana at a ceremony.
The king praised the veteran Spanish diplomat for contributing to “a modern and democratic Spain”.
The top foreign policy representative for the European Union received the honour Tuesday at Zarzuela Palace in Madrid.
Queen Sofia, Crown Prince Felipe and his wife Princess Letizia accompanied the king.
After receiving the honour, Solana reaffirmed his commitment to the Spanish crown and the country.
The Order of the Golden Fleece was created in 1429 by Philip the Good, duke of Burgundy.
- Spanish king confers highest honour on Sarkozy - Jan 17, 2012
- Princess Letizia is Spain's new style-setter - Aug 16, 2012
- Spain's king warns of hard times to come - Dec 14, 2011
- Spanish king's son-in-law a suspect in corruption case - Dec 30, 2011
- An unusual Spanish literary award ceremony - Apr 24, 2012
- Spanish royal son-in-law diverted $7.5 mn: Prosecutors - Jan 03, 2012
- Spain wins Euro 2012 final, smashing Italy 4-0 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Spain's king earns 244,000 pounds a year - Dec 29, 2011
- World Cup squad returns to Spain in triumph (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Spanish royals cut their own pay - Jul 18, 2012
- Spain celebrates soccer triumph - Jul 03, 2012
- Spanish monarchs welcome Michelle Obama - Aug 09, 2010
- Spain marks bicentennial of its first constitution - Mar 20, 2012
- Spanish cartoonist dies - Apr 04, 2012
- Huffington Post launches Spanish-language edition - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: crown prince felipe, duke of burgundy, efe, european union, foreign policy, highest honour, javier solana, king juan carlos, nato, nato secretary general, order of the golden fleece, palace in madrid, princess, queen sofia, snb, spain, spanish crown, spanish diplomat, spanish king juan carlos, zarzuela palace