Spanish king apologises for African hunting excursionApril 19th, 2012 - 10:53 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 19 (IANS/EFE) “I’m very sorry. I made a mistake. It won’t happen again,” Spain’s King Juan Carlos said Wednesday regarding a hunting trip to Botswana that became headline news after he was injured in a fall.
The monarch made his remarks to reporters upon leaving his room at the hospital where he underwent surgery for a shattered hip.
Supporting himself on two crutches, Juan Carlos said that he wants to resume his royal duties, adding that he feels “much better”.
He also thanked the medical team and all the hospital personnel, as well as the reporters for their interest in the progress of his recovery.
The king broke his hip in a fall last Friday in Botswana on an elephant hunt. He was immediately transported back to Spain after the incident.
His unprecedented apology came after significant controversy arose in Spain.
The public and the country’s political forces are currently debating whether the king should inform the public about his private trips, not to mention whether the hunting trip was proper amid Spain’s economic crisis and whether big-game hunting is an appropriate activity in general.
- Spain marks bicentennial of its first constitution - Mar 20, 2012
- Spanish royals cut their own pay - Jul 18, 2012
- Spain's king warns of hard times to come - Dec 14, 2011
- Tensions rise in Madrid ahead of Copa del Rey final - May 25, 2012
- Spanish king confers highest honour on Sarkozy - Jan 17, 2012
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Spanish king's son-in-law a suspect in corruption case - Dec 30, 2011
- Spanish king's grandson shoots self in foot - Apr 11, 2012
- Spanish cartoonist dies - Apr 04, 2012
- Spanish group wins Saudi rail contract - Oct 27, 2011
- An unusual Spanish literary award ceremony - Apr 24, 2012
- Spain wins Euro 2012 final, smashing Italy 4-0 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Police chief gunned down in Mexico - Jul 02, 2012
- US state bars political hopeful for poor English - Feb 09, 2012
- Spain, Egypt to create consortium to foster investment - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: african hunting, apologises, big game, botswana, controversy, crutches, economic crisis, efe, elephant, excursion madrid, game hunting, headline news, king juan carlos, last friday, medical team, mistake, monarch, private trips, spanish king, unprecedented apology