Spain refuses to receive Guantanamo prisonersDecember 27th, 2008 - 10:07 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, Dec 27 (Prensa Latina) Spain has refused to accept any inmate from the Guantánamo prison, saying that would create serious legal problems.In a press conference here, Spanish President Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said Friday “his government was neither requested to receive any inmates not it has plans” to accept them as that would result in unnecessary legal problems.
Earlier media reports said Zapatero might be ready to agree to a request in this regard by US president-elect Barack Obama, who announced his decision to close the US military detention centre at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, soon after his taking office.
Several European countries such as Portugal and Germany have expressed their readiness to receive some of those prisoners, while France is for discussing the issue within the European Union (EU) to give a coordinate answer.
In his remarks to journalists, Rodriguez Zapatero also ruled out an increase in the number of Spanish troops in Afghanistan, currently reaching 800.
He said the only destination for new military forces abroad would be the combat against pirates off Somalia.
- First Guantanamo prisoner arrives in Spain - Feb 24, 2010
- Ask Europeans to take Guantanamo detainees, US tells Spain - Oct 29, 2009
- Spanish troops to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014 - Jun 25, 2011
- 2 million Cuban students get trained in arts - Jan 18, 2012
- Free political prisoners, Spain tells Cuba - Feb 26, 2010
- Spain offers financial aid to Tunisia - Mar 03, 2011
- Zapatero, Obama discuss closing Guantanamo - Oct 14, 2009
- Spain says 'open' to accepting Guantanamo detainees - Feb 06, 2009
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuban lab makes medicine from banana peel - Apr 28, 2012
- US asks Spain to take four Guantanamo detainees - Jun 17, 2009
- Guantanamo Bay prisoner commits suicide - May 20, 2011
- Spanish troops to start leaving Afghanistan in January - Dec 07, 2011
- Spanish daily launches probe into sex trafficking-prostitution ad link - Jul 23, 2010
- Markets hammer Spanish bonds - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: barack obama, guantanamo bay cuba, guantanamo prisoners, luis rodriguez, luis rodriguez zapatero, prensa latina, president elect, president luis, spanish troops in afghanistan, troops in afghanistan