SP view on presidential poll on candidates’ merit: MulayamJune 11th, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Monday said his party will decide its stance on the presidential polls after the Congress officially declares its candidate.
Speaking to media persons after the party’s parliamentary board meeting here, Mulayam Singh said the Samajwadi Party will decide on its stance on the merits of the candidates.
On the prospect of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee emerging as the Congress’s possible presidential candidate, Mulayam Singh said the party has not declared its candidate so far.
He said he cannot comment till candidates were announced by political parties.
“I do not know whom Congress has made its candidate. It has not been reported by newspapers that an announcement has been made. When a candidate is declared, we will decide,” he said.
The Samajwadi Party supremo also said no party had contacted him for the presidential poll.
“We have not decided. Closer to the (presidential) poll, we will call a meeting of parliamentary board to decide,” he said.
He repeated his demand that the presidential nominee should be a “political” person and not a bureaucrat.
Asked if the SP will propose a name in the presidential contest as it had proposed name of A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in 2002, Mulayam Singh said there was “difference in the situation” now.
- Mulayam keeps Congress guessing on presidential race (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- Game not over yet, won't say anything about Mulayam: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Manmohan's name for presidency a Congress gimmick: CPI - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP to send Swamy as emissary to Mulayam - Jun 15, 2012
- Presidential polls: Suggestions continue, parties keep mum (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Met Sonia over presidential poll: Mulayam - Jun 16, 2012
- Ready to leave government if unwanted: Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sonia wants rubber stamp president: Swamy - Jun 07, 2012
- Graft eroding public trust in politicians: Mamata - Jun 19, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, board meeting, bureaucrat, congress, finance minister, media persons, merits, New Delhi, newspapers, party chief, political parties, political person, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential contest, presidential nominee, presidential poll, presidential polls, yadav