SP against promotion quota bill, BJP wants amendmentsSeptember 4th, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) Soon after the union cabinet Tuesday approved a constitutional amendment bill for reservation in job promotions to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, the Samajwadi Party said it will not let the bill pass in parliament.
The party, which has taken a stand against the bill, accused the government of taking a politically motivated decision.
“We are against the bill. It is unconstitutional,” Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Ram Gopal Yadav said.
“The Supreme Court has quashed it. Still the government wants to bring the bill because it is politically motivated,” Yadav told reporters here.
“Just as we did not allow the women’s reservation bill to be passed, we will not allow this bill either,” Yadav told IANS.
But main opposition party BJP said that though it would support the bill, some of its members had reservations and would suggest amendments.
“We are supporting the bill. But some members have some reservations. We will discuss it and suggest some amendments,” Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told IANS.
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, however, said the government was committed to getting the bill passed.
“It was a decision taken in an all-party meeting. It is everyone’s view,” Khurshid said.
According to government sources, the bill is likely to be tabled in parliament Wednesday or Thursday.
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP to meet on reservation in promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- BSP welcomes cabinet nod for reservation in job promotion - Sep 04, 2012
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP to continue protest, unlikely to oblige on promotion quota bill - Sep 04, 2012
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- PM hints at amendment bill for quota in job promotions (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- BJP takes Khurshid's quota comment to poll panel (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: abbas, amendment bill, amendments, bjp, castes, constitutional amendment, government sources, khurshid, main opposition party, naqvi, New Delhi, promotion quota, quota bill, ram gopal, reservation bill, salman, Samajwadi Party, union cabinet, union law minister, yadav