SP activists protest against BSP, baton-chargedMarch 7th, 2011 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 7 (IANS) Hundreds of Samajwadi Party (SP) activists were baton-charged and detained Monday in Uttar Pradesh as they launched a three-day protest against Uttar Pradesh’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), clashing with police and disrupting traffic.
Under the campaign, “BSP hatao, Pradesh Bachao (Remove BSP, save the state)”, SP activists, including women, took to the streets across the state and appealed to the public to dethrone the BSP in the next assembly elections in 2012.
In Lucknow, several SP leaders, including Bhagwati Singh and Shivpal Yadav, were detained as they tried to lead a march of partymen demonstrating against the “anti-people” policies of the BSP. Police baton-charged the protesting party workers near the Parivartan Chowk crossing in Lucknow.
“Several of our senior leaders, including Bhagwati Singh and Shivpal Yadav, were intentionally targeted at the behest of the Mayawati government that is trying to suppress our agitation by violent means,” SP spokesperson in state Rajendra Chaudhary told reporters here.
“The government is misusing the state machinery to detain our party MLAs across the state as it fears it would be dethroned if such demonstrations are carried out to expose its misdeeds,” he said.
According to reports, SP activists carried out demonstrations on rail tracks in Banda district where they also stopped a train.
Likewise, in Lakhimpur Kheri district, SP workers forced closure of government offices. The protesters had locked the main gate of the Collectorate and the Vikas Bhavan (Office of Chief Development Officer) that was later opened with the intervention of police and district authorities.
Demonstrations that disrupted traffic at several important places were also carried out in Meerut, Allahabad, Varanasi, Kanpur and other cities.
- Thousands of activists detained during protests: Samajwadi Party - Mar 07, 2011
- Leaders held, workers baton-charged in Samajwadi Party protests (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- SP workers clash with cops, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Samajwadi workers clash with police, leaders detained (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Samajwadi Party protests against Mayawati regime - Mar 08, 2011
- Shutdown disrupts life in Uttar Pradesh (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- BJP activists detained after clashes with police - Mar 29, 2011
- Samajwadi Party to move court against brutal cop beating - Mar 11, 2011
- Minister flayed for saying officials can steal from state coffers - Aug 10, 2012
- Samajwadi Party activists torch buses, stop trains (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Shutdown disrupts life in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Akhilesh Yadav arrested, calls Mayawati autocratic (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Police beat up Samajavadi party activists in Bijnor - Mar 08, 2011
- ABVP activists baton-charged - Aug 09, 2011
- Youth Congress activists baton-charged in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: activists, agitation, allahabad, assembly elections, behest, bhagwati, chief development officer, demonstrations, district authorities, government offices, kanpur, kheri district, mlas, parivartan, police baton, protesters, rajendra, spokesperson, state machinery, yadav