South African Communist Party turns 90August 2nd, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, Aug 2 (IANS) The South African Communist Party, which had been in the forefront of the struggle against imperialism and racism since 1921, has turned 90.
The party said the anniversary was a moment to highlight the role the party played in the national liberation of South Africa.
“Our party was the first non-racial political party, and through this helped pioneer non-racism in the politics of our country and in society in general,” Xinhua reported, citing a party statement.
Founded in 1921, the party fought against imperialism and racism in partnership with the tripartite alliance comprising the African National Congress (ANC) and the Congress of South African Trade Union (COSATU).
“The South African Communist Party and its alliance partners played a huge role in the attainment of freedom of South Africa. And the task is to ensure that we achieve economic freedom for our people,” South African President as well as ANC chief Jacob Zuma said.
The South African Communist Party with 130,000 members is the second-largest political formation in the country after the ANC.
Leng Rong, a member of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and director of the Party Literature Research Centre, attended the celebration as China’s representative.
- Zuma accused of blasphemy after claiming supporters will go to heaven - Feb 08, 2011
- S. Africa's Zuma slaps down nationalist ANC youth wing - Sep 20, 2010
- South Africa gallery won't display Zuma painting - May 31, 2012
- India hails the 'century of Asia and Africa' - Sep 23, 2011
- Zuma to invite Sonia to South Africa - Apr 14, 2011
- South African president orders probe in mine shootout - Aug 18, 2012
- China puts history of communist party online - Jan 02, 2011
- Indian-origin political leader dies in South Africa - Dec 31, 2011
- China's Communist Party has over 80 mn members - Jun 24, 2011
- Sanef shocked by Zuma's $731K lawsuit over 'rape' cartoon - Dec 15, 2010
- Zuma lauds Hindus' role in South African struggle - Jun 01, 2012
- Dlamini-Zuma: AU's first woman boss wears victory lightly (Profile) - Jul 16, 2012
- Zuma taunts West, says Africa is treated with respect in BRICS - Mar 29, 2012
- China to make more non-communists as department heads - Apr 16, 2012
- BRICS will offer huge opportunities for South Africa: Zuma - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: african communist party, african national congress, alliance partners, anc, communist party of china, cosatu, cpc central committee, economic freedom, imperialism, jacob zuma, leng, literature research, national liberation, party literature, political formation, south african communist party, south african president, tripartite alliance, xinhua, zuma